PDA

View Full Version : What Tool (Power or Manual) is your most valuable and which could you not do without?

Brad Cambell
10-25-2013, 10:45 PM
I got thinking about this the other day. It really is a tough question to answer. It really depends on what you want to make and how much space you have.

In my case, I have tons of space, 1600 square feet. I build cabinets, furniture, make my own trim, etc......

I recently bought a DJ 20 jointer. I have done without it until about 6 weeks ago. I made decent furniture, but there were some very small gaps at some of my gaps. Panels were also problematic because the joints did not fit together well and was a source of continued frustration......

The jointer has changed how I woodwork!! Once I got it dialed in and perfected my technique, I could not believe how I ever did without it!! I use it on EVERY board that I use, not just for glue ups. But I could do without if I had to. I made OK things without it.

My most valuable tool is my jointer. I can make any board, cupped or twisted, a perfect board. I have used boards that I could not have used used without my jointer. For me, the jointer is the heart of my shop.

That being said, I think the one tool that I could not do without would be my table saw. I use it for virtually everything and jigs or fixtures can be made to even cut a circle with it!!!

If I didn't have my table saw I think I would have to give up woodworking.

I'd like to hear what you think. What tool is could you not be without and what tool is your most valuable?

Andrew Hughes
10-25-2013, 11:09 PM
I have two jointers two bandsaws two planers one big one small,sold the table saw several years ago.Thats how I make my symphony work.Someday maybe I'll get another table saw,such a dangerous machine.

John Sanford
10-26-2013, 12:35 AM
Workbench. Hands down.

John Schweikert
10-26-2013, 1:07 AM
Not a single tool but a group of tools, anything that is a measuring tool, tape measure, ruler, caliper, etc. Otherwise none of this is possible. What's the first thing you honestly reach for? For me, it's a piece of wood and something to measure it. Not intended to be philosophical, just factual. Beyond that, any project dictates the range of acceptable tools.

Rich Engelhardt
10-26-2013, 8:10 AM
Gotta go with John on this....

My most valuable tool is my Starrett combination square.

W/out it, everything is at best, a guess.
Some people are blessed, either through a natural talent for things or years of experience, that their "guess" is dead on. I'm not one of them.

The Starrett does the three most basic things - straight edge, 90* and measures.

Keith Outten
10-26-2013, 8:12 AM
1. CNC Router
2. Band Saw
3. ROS
4. Edge Sander

In that order.

Aleks Hunter
10-26-2013, 9:25 AM
I think a jointer either mechanical or hand plane is a "must have" If you are not starting with true, square stock, you cannot make good joinery. But then you need a good square to be sure the stock is square. Oops there cannot only be one "must have!"

Doug Herzberg
10-26-2013, 9:57 AM
I could not do without a table saw. With the right accessories and a little bit of thought, a table saw can make many other tools mere conveniences, which is not to say they are not needed or wanted, just not absolutely essential. I don't have any valuable tools, but my most expensive tool is my lathe. It's also the most fun.

Dave Zellers
10-26-2013, 11:36 AM
The jointer has changed how I woodwork!! Once I got it dialed in and perfected my technique, I could not believe how I ever did without it!! I use it on EVERY board that I use, not just for glue ups. But I could do without if I had to. I made OK things without it.
This is my experience exactly. I've always had a 4" jointer but when I got my 8" jointer my woodworking experience changed. Working with flat and straight wood has made every process a joy. My frame and panel cabinet doors are always perfectly flat now. Assembly of any project is easier.

I love seeing the stack of jointed and planed wood sitting on the bench as I'm about to start a job. Sometimes they mate together so well, two boards stick together when you pick up the top one. It's fun to begin a project that way.

Charles Wiggins
10-26-2013, 11:42 AM
The last few years I have not been able to do much woodworking, but I have done tons of shop fix up and DIY around the house. My "go to" that I would miss most right now is my 18v cordless drill.

Jacob Reverb
10-26-2013, 1:54 PM
1. Sledgehammer
2. Caulk gun

(Just kidding...TS is probably my most-used tool right after the pencil...)

Rick Fisher
10-26-2013, 1:58 PM
Jointer and Bandsaw ..

Those two tools are a matched set in my shop.. By far the most used ..

Loren Woirhaye
10-26-2013, 2:02 PM
I do not know if I would have the patience to do the craft without a band saw. Everything else I can do adequately by hand, but the ease of routine ripping and curved cuts a band saw makes possible is a great time saver.

Kent A Bathurst
10-26-2013, 3:05 PM
My most valuable tool is my Starrett combination square.

Rich wins. But I gotta add my Starrett 4" dbl square in there.

Kinda like you would never find Quickdraw McGraw [or, "Queeksdraw] without Baba Looyey.

Sam Murdoch
10-26-2013, 4:16 PM
Jointer and Bandsaw ..

Those two tools are a matched set in my shop.. By far the most used ..

I'm surprised that I am writing this but I completely agree + a good track saw. The jointer is an essential, but I now vote for equal billing to the bandsaw (and for the folks who need to cut sheet goods) a track saw. Always thought that the table saw was king for a cabinet maker/furniture builder that I am, but finally with a good band saw in house the TS is hardly ever used. I do so much cutting with the bandsaw that would have ben such an aggravation (and more dangerous too) with a TS. I started out as a boatbuilder and kind of relegated the bandsaw to curved/beveled work but they can do soooooo much more. What was I thinking? Much that the BS can't do that I would normally do with a TS can be done with a router/router table, though I admit that I'm keeping the table saw. Don't forget - good clamps.

Bill Whig
10-26-2013, 5:06 PM
I often credit my ShopVac credit for giving me the "most bang for the buck". Besides speedily helping me to keep my shop neat, it sucks up drywall dust, vacuums eaves, and it makes quick work of cleaning the carpet in the car. The model I have seconds as a leaf blower. A joy to have around! ; )

Jeff Duncan
10-26-2013, 5:24 PM
If I was in a bind I could build things without a square or a bench. I can build things without a jointer or planer or bandsaw or shaper or dust collector. I guess I could really build without any power tools if needed, but the one that unquestionably is the most important for me is the table saw. It offers the most flexibility of any of the tools in my shop. I can straighten an edge with it, I can make two surfaces parallel with it, I can rip, crosscut, dado, groove and bevel with it. In short, it can do more than any other tool I can think of. If I had a shop with a jointer planer and bandsaw I would be less productive than in a shop with just a table saw, so for me....the table saw is king;)

JeffD

Brad Cambell
10-26-2013, 6:42 PM
Jeff, I have remodeled two houses and used the table saw all the time. I could rip a 2x to whatever I needed. I can straighten a piece of wood pretty nicely by ripping it and then flipping it and ripping the other side. If I did this a couple times I could get a piece of wood pretty straight. Not as good as a jointer, but serviceable.

The table saw is king IMHO.

Brad Cambell
10-26-2013, 6:48 PM
I can build things without it, but I bought a Mitutoyo digital caliper and now I can make adjustments in one try instead of adjusting and test cut, and repeat over and over again.... Not absolutely necessary but a great tool.

johnny means
10-26-2013, 6:56 PM
+1 on the table saw. Specifically, a slider. I can build a square, cleanly joined cabinet without any measuring devices. I can make due with whatever dimensional lumber is available. I absolutely could not do what a table saw does, cut clean, straight, square fast enough to make it worth doing.

Mark Wooden
10-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Tablesaw, but man! I'd miss my jointer!

Rod Sheridan
10-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Shaper..................So many uses and capabilities............Rod.

John TenEyck
10-27-2013, 12:49 PM
That's interesting, Rod, my shaper is my least used machine and I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of it and getting a higher HP router and lift. For my needs that would probably offer more versatility - and get more use. What tool could I not live without? Most all the others, actually. Jointer, planer, TS, BS, drum sander, I need the all.

John

Jim Andrew
10-27-2013, 9:39 PM
These last couple years I have been involved mostly in shop improvements. My addition is nearing completion, at least It is enclosed, siding is on and the doors are installed. Next comes wiring, then some insulation and plan to use waferboard instead of wallboard like the rest of the shop has. Before winter I want to get a 4' leanto hung on the rear to house my firewood and keep it dry. Last year I built a small steel building to house a wood furnace. So I guess I'd say my shop is my most important possession.

Lori Kleinberg
10-27-2013, 10:58 PM
This may sound corny but, my computer(or laptop) and membership in Sawmillcreek.org. When I first started I had no background in woodworking and the only family that could help at all were my son's and their school shop experience. I learned so much just from reading the creek, technique, tools (especially ones on sale) and if I had a question, there was always someone to answer it. If I needed inspiration, I just checked out the creek.
I have a shop full of tools now, but without the help of creekers, I wouldn't know half of what I do now.

Rod Sheridan
10-28-2013, 9:38 AM
Hi John, as always, it depends upon what you make and how.

I use the shaper for the following

- cutting profiles (obviously)

- cutting rebates

- cutting tenons

- slotting

- sawing thin strips

- edge bevelling

- spindle sander using a sanding drum for shapers.

-edge jointing if I have lots to do

- template copying

Regards, Rod.

Larry Browning
10-28-2013, 10:33 AM
It's the one needed to get the job done at the moment. This is actually an impossible question to answer. Some projects require me to use every tool in my shop, while others require nothing more than a hammer and a couple of nails. It also sort of depends on your point of view. Where I work, everyone thinks theirs is the the most important job in the company. Whether it is engineering, manufacturing, sales or finance, everyone can rightly say that without them the company could not function. The truth is that it takes everyone for the company to function properly. I think the same is true when it comes to which tool is the most important. Everything is important, if you need it and don't have it, you are stuck. One could argue that without a pencil you could not get the project done, so that is the most valuable tool in the shop.

Brad Cambell
10-29-2013, 7:16 PM
One could argue that without a pencil you could not get the project done, so that is the most valuable tool in the shop.

Larry, I have used a nail to mark a cut line, so a pencil is not a make or break instrument.

Brad Cambell
10-29-2013, 7:24 PM
That's interesting, Rod, my shaper is my least used machine and I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of it.

That is exactly what got me thinking of this conundrum. One person never uses a certain tool, while another uses it all the time.

WHY????????

Jamie Lynch
10-29-2013, 11:02 PM
There are so many tools that help a project come together. But my MVP is my table saw. I started woodworking when I was 13. At that time the Ryobi Bt2000 was the central tool in my dad's shop. When I got married I was given a little delta benchtop TS, I found a deal on CL for a slightly larger almost contractor saw and used it till the smoke came out (smoke is what really keeps motors and electronics running, let it out and you are SOL). I'm now on saw no. 4 a unisaw w/unifence, I hope to use this one for a long time.

Jeff Duncan
10-30-2013, 9:48 AM
That is exactly what got me thinking of this conundrum. One person never uses a certain tool, while another uses it all the time.

WHY????????

Well b/c we all work wood different ways. I build a lot of different things so I have a fair amount of machinery. However if I only wanted to build one thing, say frameless cabinetry, I could eliminate a bunch of my equipment. Or someone who enjoys turning may just invest in a really good lathe and tooling, and have no or little use for other equipment. What you buy and what you use is dependent on what you build and how you like to work. So someone like John doesn't use his shaper much and may get rid of it, whereas my shapers are used all the time! I currently have 3 in use and if I had the room I'd be awful tempted to add more. Their just so flexible and open up so many possibilities! I guess Rod and I share a brain on this one, though I still put my table saw first, the shaper has become a necessity for me to the point I'd be bummed if I could only have one:o

good luck,
JeffD

Paul McGaha
10-30-2013, 10:42 AM
In my case the table saw, miter saw, jointer, planer, dust collector and air filter are the core of the shop and I guess pretty much equally important.

Sorry for not being able to pick just one.

On the other hand, when it's cold I guess the heater would be the most important. :)

PHM

Shawn Pixley
10-30-2013, 11:59 PM
I thought about this for a bit. I don't think there is a tool I couldn't do without. I think I would find a different way of working given any tool becoming unavailable. However, I think I would miss the tablesaw the most (or maybe the the jointer plane). I built an architect's office worth of furniture with a skill saw, straight edge, eggbeater drill, hand plane and a chisel. I think we could all adapt. Probably we would make our tools first.

J.R. Rutter
10-31-2013, 12:19 AM
Widebelt sander - I could make do without it, but would never want to. The tablesaw is the most versatile, but even as expensive as it was, that sander has paid for itself several times over.