PDA

View Full Version : I've learned the secret

Joe Skinner
10-25-2013, 1:55 PM
I've been trying to learn more of using hand tools lately. Since I don't know anyone local who can help, it's all been internet learning, and trial an error. Last night I needed to rip a 9* angle cut off the face and cross cut a 15* angle off the end of a board. I debated firing up the bandsaw, but decided to do it by hand.

I've learned the secret to getting good with a hand plane. The trick to being good with a plane is being bad with a saw. Got to where I needed to be though.

Daniel Rode
10-25-2013, 2:08 PM
I've been trying to learn more of using hand tools lately. Since I don't know anyone local who can help, it's all been internet learning, and trial an error. Last night I needed to rip a 9* angle cut off the face and cross cut a 15* angle off the end of a board. I debated firing up the bandsaw, but decided to do it by hand.

I've learned the secret to getting good with a hand plane. The trick to being good with a plane is being bad with a saw. Got to where I needed to be though.

I get lots of plane practice that way as well :)

Tony Wilkins
10-25-2013, 2:17 PM

D'oh - me too.

Prashun Patel
10-25-2013, 2:51 PM
That's also the secret to getting good with a chisel. Your conclusion would make a clever signature/tag line.

Jim Koepke
10-25-2013, 3:20 PM
Joe,

Welcome to the world of hand tool fun and learning. Where are you located. You may live close to someone who is willing and able to help you up the learning curve.

jtk

Joe Skinner
10-25-2013, 3:27 PM
I'm in north Fort Worth, TX, and am happy to get some assistance. Plus, the only other woodworker I know seems to think all hand tools are completely useless and all furniture should be shaker style so he can use the table saw.

Jonathan McCullough
10-25-2013, 8:55 PM
. . . The only other woodworker I know seems to think all hand tools are completely useless and all furniture should be shaker style so he can use the table saw.

Priceless observation!

Jim Matthews
10-26-2013, 9:24 AM
It's like sharpening edge tools.

You get close with the first pass,
fitting parts with the second and
finished for use with the third.

My plane takes off a shaving around 4 thousandths of an inch.
The set on my saw is nearly 52 thousandths - not exactly precise.

The sole of a plane limits what the edge can take off, and that means I don't need
any grey matter to correct what the plane does.

(It's mostly ballast, in any case.)

The idea that you can go straight from the saw to fitting a part is a sort of Pythagorean ideal, in my shop.
I don't take anywhere near as much care sawing as I do in the last two steps.

Justin Coon
10-29-2013, 4:41 PM
I'm in north Fort Worth, TX, and am happy to get some assistance. Plus, the only other woodworker I know seems to think all hand tools are completely useless and all furniture should be shaker style so he can use the table saw.

Joe, I'm a little East of you in Keller. Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as you as I'm just starting down the slippery hand tool slope without a beacon to guide me (outside of the forum and books). If you (or I) find a local woodworker that's willing to share their knowledge, let's share contacts. I'm about halfway through Garrett Hack's handplane book and feel like I'm learning a lot about these magical devices.

Cory Waldrop
10-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Hey Justin/Joe,

I am in the Fort Worth area near TCU. My challenge is living in an apartment with no access to power tools outside of handheld ones, so I have been forced to try to learn how to use hand tools to get the job done. One of the things I found to be very helpful is I have taken 3 or 4 classes at the Heritage School of Woodworking in Waco. They have excellent hand tool courses with great instructors. I also like going to the Lie Nielsen hand tool event at Wood World in Dallas every year. Last year The Woodworking Shows was in Downtown Ft. Worth and that was a lot of fun. Paul Sellers was there demonstrating hand tool skills as well as Frank Strazza from the school in Waco. This past weekend The Woodworking Shows was in Dallas. I didn't go but I am sure it was a good time.

Outside of watching videos and taking courses, I think just getting out there and practicing your skills is the way to go. If you don't give it a try, you wont learn what works and what doesn't. Practice sawing to a line and sawing square. Build jigs that will help you such as shooting boards and bench hooks. Try cutting mortises by hand and sawing tennons. Paul Sellers has some great videos on youtube on how to do it. He uses ordinary bench chisels and believe me it works as well as one could hope. It may take you a few tries, but I have found it just gets easier and my results seem to be getting better. Practice hand cutting dovetails. I like making small boxes to practice the skills. I have about 4 unfinished boxes laying around with just the sides dovetailed. If anything it gives me practice with my saws and also gives me practice on how to fill gaps with different methods :).

Ohh and sharpening. Man is sharpening important. Find a way that works for you and keep your tools sharp. It is so frustrating when you saw a board and have to touch up the cut with a plane only to tear out the grain because your plane blade isn't sharp enough.

Its funny, just by starting this thread you have met at least 2 other people in your city that likes to use and learn about hand tools. We are out there I guess, just lurking and hiding in the shadows :D