PDA

View Full Version : "Standard" sized windows vs "custom" windows

Stephen Tashiro
10-25-2013, 1:43 PM
In these days of just-in-time-manufacturing, is there much cost advantage in ordering a "standard" sized window vs ordering a "custom" sized window?

I'm replacing a window in a concrete block wall. The convenient way the rough opening would come out when framed with lumber is 33 1/2 inches wide by 43 inches tall. I could block it out to be smaller.

Mel Fulks
10-25-2013, 2:04 PM
I would at least get a couple of prices and time estimates for the size you really want. I started making sash and window frames back when most were locally produced ,so pieces for custom were just processed along with stock stuff. My guess is that today the whole process,especially for double pane is more automated and making the odd sizes more of a distraction to mfg. I have noticed that some of current special pieces have problems,I've seen custom half round sizes made by a company that runs a lot of ads for custom that were so lop sided they required three pcs of casing all of DIFFERENT radii to fit.

David Weaver
10-25-2013, 2:13 PM
I had to order 8 for a room on the back of my house at the beginning of the year. I can only speak for pella in my case, but the windows that we put in the room cost the same that windows would've cost me to get at lowes or wherever pellas are sold at retail, but they were all custom sized and literally in 8 different sizes. (I did have to pay for my contractor to install them, but he itemized the costs for me).

The only difference was that I had to wait about 7 weeks or so to get the windows, but it was gobs cheaper to do that than it was to try to change the holes for the windows and have to do major work.

Steve Peterson
10-25-2013, 11:22 PM
Since you already have a "custom" hole, you should check the prices for a custom size window. It will look a lot better and you will get more light.

The custom windows that I do not like are the arched top windows. They look OK, but are a real pain to find sun screens or blinds for.

Steve

Jim Matthews
10-27-2013, 7:38 PM
If it's just one window, the premium for a single window is a worthy expense.

If it's an entire house, that's a different matter.
What's your money for, if not something like this?

Larry Edgerton
10-28-2013, 7:30 AM
I normally use Marvin windows in the houses that I build and custom sizes are a little more than double.

At Marvin the standard sizes are built on an automated system, where the customs are built more or less in a normal shop. One of the big contributors to the cost is the custom size thermopane glass.

I designed my new house around standard sizes.

Sometimes going to the next size larger and modifying the rough opening is a better option.

Larry

Brian Elfert
10-28-2013, 10:31 AM
It would be crazy to spec a new house with non-standard sized windows unless it is a high end luxury house. My parents replaced their windows at the same time they had new siding installed. They could have gone with standard sized windows, but none of the sizes matched what they had and they would have had to do drywall repair and painting. They chose Renewal by Andersen for the custom sizes even though the cost was out of sight.

Stephen Tashiro
10-28-2013, 11:33 AM
I found that the local big box hardware stores consider "standard size" to mean the sizes of a window that they stock - either in the store or online. It doesn't include as many sizes as the window manufacturers list in their literature. If you order a size that window manufacturer lists, but the hardware store doesn't stock, they use the computer program for a "custom" window to order it. (I don't know if the window gets priced as a "custom" size. Perhaps, it gets built as a "custom" window at the factory!)