PDA

View Full Version : The Pottery Barn Look

John TenEyck
10-25-2013, 12:47 PM
I imagine there are several ways to get that dark, smooth, matte finish Pottery Barn look. Here's one I found that's pretty simple.

I refinished this mahogany table using Sherwin Williams BAC Wiping Stain - Midnight, followed by a spray coat of Sealcoat shellac and two sprayed coats of General Finishes HP Poly Satin to which I added 4% Johnson's Baby Powder. I'm sure GF's matte HP Poly would have worked at least as well, but I couldn't get any in the time frame available. I can't say enough good things about SW's BAC Wiping Stain. It is easy to apply and wipe off. I was amazed how dark it was with just a single coat. It also dries in less than an hour and you can apply solvent based topcoats right away. I chose to wait 2 days because I was going to apply the WB GF product directly on it, but then decided to apply a Sealcoat layer first just to be sure there were no bonding problems. The baby powder mixed into the WB poly with no problems; I just had to stir it, let it sit a few minutes, and then re-stir to make sure it was distributed uniformly and completely. The baby powder tends to settle out a lot quicker than the normal flatters, so I made sure to empty the gun between coats and re-stir before refilling the gun for the next coat. Other than that it sprayed fine and definitely reduced the sheen.

Anyway, here's what it looks like.

John

Bruce Page
10-25-2013, 1:35 PM
Looks great! Thanks for the baby powder tip.

Jim Rimmer
10-25-2013, 1:37 PM
Great looking finish.

Michael Dunn
10-26-2013, 6:43 PM
That looks fantastic!!! I'm doing something similar finish wise. I was nervous mine wasn't coming of dark enough. My client said she likes it. I was all prepared with three alternate darker samples. I'm waiting for clear coat now. 72 hours. The waiting is the hardest part!!!

I'll surely try this method next time I do something this dark.

Michael Dunn
10-26-2013, 6:44 PM
Oh... Here's a pic. Two coats of GF Java gel stain. No clear coat yet.

This is just the base. There is a top portion to be installed upon this base.

John TenEyck
10-26-2013, 7:08 PM
Michael, that looks really good, too. Please post some pics when it's all done.

John

Michael Dunn
10-26-2013, 9:01 PM
Michael, that looks really good, too. Please post some pics when it's all done. John

Absolutely. I'm also making a matching media cabinet.