PDA

View Full Version : What to do with leftovers?

Robert McGowen
10-25-2013, 9:54 AM
At least with segmented work, I get to use the leftovers for something! Each one is made from 12 individual pieces of wood. All of these are 2 7/16" inside diameter, which, coincidently, happen to fit my wife perfectly! http://www.woodturnersunlimited.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif 273725

Tim Leiter
10-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Very nice bracelets. I'd like to try to make some someday. How to you hold them on the lathe? Pictures would help..............Tim.

Trevor Howard
10-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Very nice bracelets. I'd like to try to make some someday. How to you hold them on the lathe? Pictures would help..............Tim.

Here's a link to a usfull pdf on turning bracelets.
If link is inappropriate and removed, google "turning bracelets pdf" should be the first hit

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_content/Turning_Bracelets.pdf

Tim Leiter
10-25-2013, 2:26 PM
Thanks for the link Trevor.

Mike Cruz
10-25-2013, 3:23 PM
Very cool and thanks for the link!

John Beaver
10-25-2013, 7:19 PM
Robert. Those are nice looking bangles. How do you feel about the strength of using only end grain joints without bricklaying the segments?

Robert McGowen
10-25-2013, 7:43 PM
Robert. Those are nice looking bangles. How do you feel about the strength of using only end grain joints without bricklaying the segments? John, The wife has been wearing a couple of them for months with no problems at all. I tried to break them in half when I first started making them and there is no way I could do it with just my hands. I then took a bracelet and put it on a chuck with the jaws on the inside. I expanded the chuck until I broke the bracelet and the wood broke before the joint failed. I personally think that using modern glues and with the segments being glued in a circular shape, the result is much stronger than one piece of wood cut into a circular shape.

Mike Cruz
10-25-2013, 9:51 PM
I will say that with rings (finger rings, not rings in general), you NEED to brick layer them. A straight endgrain glue up is not strong enough. But on a ring, there is not only a lot of outward force when a finger is bent...increasing its size, but also, there really isn't that much wood to hold together. With these bangles, there is a substantially greater surface area to the glue joints. Since Robert says they are super strong, I'll take his work on it... But that also means that your joints need to be super good!