PDA

View Full Version : A gloat - if I may

Kim Malmberg
10-25-2013, 6:58 AM
It's been some time since my last gloat so I just couldn't resist the temptation.

I've recently found a Stanley Victor no 20 compass plane.

With previous experience of only one other compass plane I cannot compare with other than the 113 model, but apparently this model is popular and I can certainly see why. It is a heavy plane with a very solid frame and it performs very close to a normal plane. Ive even tried using it for smoothing just to see how it copes and the results weren't all that bad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/finnberg68/sets/72157636930694276/

I'm not sure this common on the compass planes, but the mouth is also very tight, leaving just a sliver of light between the cutter and the front mouth opening.

To make this more interesting, I'd be curious about what how others rank compass planes and especially the various models available.

Greetings from a damp but surprisingly warm Finland

-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/finnberg68

David Weaver
10-25-2013, 7:24 AM
I've had the 113 and now have the 020 like yours. First and foremost, one of either that doesn't have something broken is probably the winner regardless of model.

But between the two if nothing is broken, the 020 is nicer. Hold on to it, they aren't particularly rare, but when you want to use one, finding one for a good price isn't always easy.

(didn't notice while looking on my phone that yours was busted, but it only matters if it's busted in a way it doesn't work).

I took my lumps when I bought a functional 20 and paid $135 for one in very nice shape and just sucked up having to pay full freight because the 113 I had came from a dealer and it was broken (I sent it back to them when I figured out what was wrong with it) - but in such a way that it wasn't functional.

Tony Zaffuto
10-25-2013, 12:11 PM
I got a #20 at a lumber & milling operation several years ago. Was part of a lot, with a #5 MF newer plane and some auger bits. It was a walk through viewing with no touching/hands on examination. Though I got a bargain at the $50 or $60 I paid, until I claimed my prize, finding out the #20's frog was brazed. It now sits on a shelf waiting for the next #20 I find that will probably have something else cracked and between the two I might make a good plane!

Jim Belair
10-25-2013, 12:37 PM
I've got a #20 also and it's been up to the task when asked.

Jim Koepke
10-25-2013, 1:00 PM
My #113 gets put into service as needed.

There is some preference for the #20 over the #113.

Even with the damage if it can work for you that is a great gloat.

The biggest problem with the compass planes aside from broken parts is the chip breaker and lever cap are different than the corresponding parts on a bench plane.

All too often the parts have been mixed up by a previous owner.

jtk

Kim Malmberg
10-25-2013, 1:33 PM
I suppose I should have known that a Finnish gloat is no gloat in the United Tooldom of America. No irony intended. :-) I'm so starved when it comes to domestically found quality tools that for me a repaired compass plane in working order is worthy of a (very miniscule) gloat. So I'm still happy.

David Weaver
10-25-2013, 1:34 PM
No worries, Kim. You can probably find tons of finnish and eskilstuna stuff over there, and when anything scandinavian appears here, it's priced like the space shuttle brought it back from the moon with white glove treatment.

Kim Malmberg
10-25-2013, 3:45 PM
Oh yeah, I wish. The Eskilstuna stuff is either already in Australia or selling for shi(p)loads in Sweden.

I own four Berg chisels in decent shape and lenght after trawling every single flea market in my neighbourhood for several years. Bergs were very popular here too but they were also worn down to their ankles.

paul cottingham
10-25-2013, 7:49 PM
Hey, I'll give you a hearty "you suck!" I never see deals like that for that plane in my neck of the woods.