PDA

View Full Version : Steve Latta string inlay tools?

Frederick Skelly
10-25-2013, 12:12 AM
Guys, do any of you use the LN string inlay tools that are patterned on Steve Latta's. Are you happy with them?

I tried to make my own cutters based on an FWW article. I was disappointed with the result so Im considering buying a couple from LN.

(I seatched the archives but didnt get a lot of reviews of the tools. Many good comments on his videos though.)

Thank you.
Fred

Chris Griggs
10-25-2013, 6:15 AM
Don't have them, but if you get them get the first of the Latta inlay video's (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/dvds/fundamentals-of-inlay-stringing-line-berry/) too. Its fantabulous! Like really really good. That guy knows what he is doing and knows how to explain it very well.

Martin Peek
10-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Inlay is fun! All of the LN tools are nicely made.
I do own the radius cutter and the straight line cutter. I think these tools are really handy because of the locking adjustability. It is easy to make a fixed-radius / fixed fence cutter with a simple toothed blade, but the two LN tools can take the place of all the different lengths of them you could want.
The thicknessing gauge can be easily made and sharpened like a scraper (the hole in the middle of the LN is for clamping to the workbench).
I use a japanese slicing gauge (wari kebiki) for cutting the inlay strips because I already had it. I have tried the LN slicing gauge prototype, and I got good results, but I didn't immediately get the hang of holding the fence.
Steve is a great teacher, and I'd highly recommend his class if you have a chance. He has a lot of helpful little tips. Here is my very first piece.

Chuck Nickerson
10-25-2013, 12:44 PM
I have and have used the LN inlay tools. They work well for me.
The cutters are very short saws, and there are other appraoches.

You'll also want very narrow chisels (Blue Spruce or DIY) to clean up stopped cuts.

mike holden
10-25-2013, 1:10 PM
I too, have a set and they work beautifully.

Mike

Frederick Skelly
10-25-2013, 8:46 PM
Thanks guys. Im going to get a set and that video. I appreciate it.
Fred

Jim Leslie
10-26-2013, 12:08 AM
I have the whole set and find it all works very well. I also have Steve's DVD's and learned a lot from them.

BobW Robinson
10-26-2013, 2:36 AM
I also have the kit and am very satisfied with it. as mentioned above, the DVD is a great learning tool that I still refer to from time to time.