PDA

View Full Version : Incra router table - alternate caster arrangements ?

Kelly Colin Mark
10-24-2013, 10:06 PM
I have the Incra router table, along with the wheel kit. I have a tiny space so want to stow the table when not in use. But for me, the wheel kit does not work well for this - the swivelling wheel part is so long that it would pose a tripping hazard if mounted in the front. But if it's in the back, it makes steering the table impossible. So I was thinking about installing 4 casters, ideally swivelling, locking and low profile (in order of importance).

There's a threaded insert in the table posts which takes a 5/16-18 screw (IIRC) but I can't seem to find any casters that are swivelling, locking, and low profile enough that I wouldn't need a step-stool to use the table (I am not tall).

Has anyone else rigged up alternate caster/roller arrangements on this setup and if so, what did you do ?

thanks !!

Earl McLain
10-24-2013, 10:22 PM
New here--first post on the Creek...Could you mount the swivel wheel to the inside instead of the outside? I did that on my Dewalt planer stand--it's a little awkward to reach in with my foot, but not nearly as awkward as falling on my face (which i'd have done mounting it on the outside as Incra illustrates). I'm a hobbyist so I don't have to use it multiple times a day so it's livable. Earl

Kelly Colin Mark
10-25-2013, 5:36 PM
I'm pretty sure the wheel could go inside... That's a good idea. I have a bin mounted under the table on the end the protruding swivel wheel would likely go, but I think there'd still be room to stick my leg in to hit the pedal. Hmm... Food for thought.

Michael Heffernan
10-25-2013, 8:13 PM
I have the Incra router table and leg set as well. Originally I used Incra's wheel kit. I built cabinets and a dust collection box inside the legs and found that the wheel kit wasn't robust enough for the added weight and eventually failed. I bought a Rockler All-Terrain mobile base with extension stretchers and put that under the legs. Works like a dream. Easy to move around and the wheels are out of the way. I put the swivel casters at the back of the table and use the locks on the fixed casters to keep the table in place. Not cheap, but the best solution for me. I just put another of these bases under my Delta DC-380 planer (about 400 lbs) and ditched the Delta base that came with it. Can move it around with one hand.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21257&site=ROCKLER

Kelly Colin Mark
10-26-2013, 3:26 PM
Thanks Michael. I took a look at that kit just now - you weren't kidding - it's not cheap, but reviews are stellar. How high does that wheel setup raise the overall stand ? I also built a cabinet to go underneath the table beside the dust collection bin, so if the Incra set is not strong enough, that would be a problem.

I studied the table more closely to see if Earl's idea of mounting the swivelling caster inside the table will work. I don't think it will, at least not without some modification. Here's why:

The bottom end rails for the table are different. The end that takes the non-swivelling wheels are not drilled out to handle the swiveling wheel. Also, the end intended for the swiveling wheel is formed in a sort of U-shaped channel, whereas the other end is not. I assume this is to strengthen that rail when all the weight is support on just the wheel. Unfortunately, the wheel assembly will not fit on the inside of the channel - it's too high. One would need to cut the bottom part out to accommodate the wheel assembly and new holes would likely need to be drilled.

Grr.