PDA

View Full Version : Well not exactly a ww tool, but…

John Weber
06-03-2005, 12:52 PM
After buying a totally junk old Hyster fork truck and losing a bunch on the sale I still needed a decent fork truck, so I spent a little (make that lot) more for a newer, bigger, hopefully better truck. It’s a 1993 Komatsu 5,000 lb, LP lift truck with a triple side shift mast. At 5,000 hours I’ve seen trucks that looked better, but it seems mechanically sound and I had a little work done before it was delivered. Still could use a little paint and new tires, but for now it runs and works. I don’t see a brand new truck in my future, but hopefully this one will do the trick.

Thanks for looking – John

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/pond/komatsu1.jpg

John Miliunas
06-03-2005, 1:06 PM
Ahhhh...that's for loading them BIG blanks on the lathe, right?:D Hey, but you're not a turner, are you? Ohhhh....For your next load of LN's...!!! I see.:D Seriously, that should turn the trick for you! The cute operator and co-pilot come with it?:) :cool:

John Weber
06-03-2005, 1:16 PM
John,

Well it doesn't cut the lawn, haul mulch from Lowes, or cut wood, but hopefully will save me some rent and be a big help moving stuff around. The dang thing has like a 15' mast, I get scared just raising it up "without" a load, luckly I seldom go above 6'. Now if LN wants a midwest distributor...

John

P.S. The kids love Dad's "tractor" as they like to call it, the rental was white/yellow but we'll have to some up with a name for the blue/gray color scheme...

Ken Garlock
06-03-2005, 1:56 PM
That is quite a haul(er). Since it is blue and gray, you might call it the Lincoln since he was president during the civil war. You can also tell people that you can't afford a real Lincoln auto :D

Alan Turner
06-03-2005, 2:07 PM
John,
To get the tools to the new teaching studio space, we are using a triple mast, through a 6' hole in the floor. So, if it breaks I'll give you a buzz.
Nice toy.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-03-2005, 2:12 PM
John,

That would be a very handy peice of machinery to have around! I can think of quite a few times I would have used one.

If I start buying power tools that size, LOML might just kill me! ;)

John Weber
06-03-2005, 2:49 PM
Thanks guys, here is my first lift I never used. It was a beater Hyster, I bought it and had it hauled to the repair place, but it needed so much work I sold it for basically scrap/parts and tried to cut my losses. The Komatsu is a much newer and nicer machine. Side shift is a dream in a tight warehouse.

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/pics05/hyster1.jpg

John

Jerry Clark
06-04-2005, 11:18 AM
John, looks like a good forklift-- my son is in the forklift business and he says the "new" forklift is worth about $6,500. It is a good unit and will give you many hours of service-- great find!:)

John Weber
06-04-2005, 11:13 PM
Jerry,

That is nice to hear, I'll be sure to pass it along to my wife. Does your son have any helpful hints? I know a little mechanically, but the lift came with little documentation, heck we bought a new digital camera that had about a 100 page manual, the fork lift has zip. I'm going to call Komatsu and see if I can get a owners guide or something, the fork lift industry is a very interesting one.

John

John Hart
06-05-2005, 6:48 AM
It's nice of you to get the kids that nice go-kart! I just get my kids things like sleds and scooters. You're a great daddy!!:D