PDA

View Full Version : CA Glue Acrylic to Waste Block?

Scott Pavkovich
10-24-2013, 2:47 PM
Hello fellow turners, my name is Scott and I'm new to this beautiful hobby. I have a question of course!

I have some Acrylic blanks 1.5 in diameter. They do not fit in the jaws of my Woodriver chuck. Would gluing it to a waste block with CA glue work? I don't really want to use the worm screw because I want a nice clean solid base, no hole to deal with.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Dan Hintz
10-24-2013, 3:16 PM
A waste block of acrylic? Sure. Not to wood, though.

On that note, worm screws are meant for wood... if you put that into a block of acrylic, you take a high chance of shattering it if you get a hard catch.

Mark Detrick
10-24-2013, 5:07 PM
I agree with Dan that acrylic to acrylic would better than acrylic to wood. If you must go acrylic to wood I would probably try an epoxy rather than CA.

Scott Pavkovich
10-24-2013, 5:11 PM
Thanks a bunch guys! I actually tried the acrylic to wood and it is holding quite strongly. I used med CA on the waste block and thin on the acrylic, married them and held in place with the tailstock. And just out of habit I ran a bead of hot glue around the base. It seems to work well enough, and of course I'm wearing a full face shield!

robert baccus
10-24-2013, 11:08 PM
Glad it worked for you. CA is not picky about it adheres to---very flexible in that regard.

Scott Pavkovich
10-25-2013, 2:21 AM
Thanks again guys, was able to finish the product and when I cut it loose, the remaining acrylic was very attached.

Russell Neyman
10-29-2013, 4:46 PM
Scott, it's not the question you asked, but most chucks will hold smaller items by removing the jaws and using the empty travelers.

robert baccus
10-29-2013, 9:11 PM
Good point---on my Nova's the jaws can stay on and hold smaller stuff.