PDA

View Full Version : Sliding deadman

Christopher Charles
10-24-2013, 2:29 PM
Hello all,

The final step in my bench build is to install the sliding deadman. I've gotten along without one for a long time and was wondering if it'll be like the microwave (can't believe lived without out it) or a take-it or leave-it item (frankly I've been tempted to not bother in moments of bench-build fatigue). Any suggestions for getting the most out of one?

Thanks,
C

Jim Koepke
10-24-2013, 2:53 PM
My understanding of the deadman is the slot at the top is usually deep enough to allow the removal of the deadman when not wanted. This would allow the postponing of building one until you found a use for one.

My bench wasn't really made for a sliding deadman. One was fashioned that sort of served the purpose. Awhile later it was determined that for my usage it was easier to drill some holes in the apron and use dogs or holdfasts to support the work.

If a lot of my work was holding various widths of panels to work an edge or even odd shaped work, then a deadman with all the peg positions to accommodate said work would be an advantage.

So the answer really depends on the kinds of projects you plan to build. A lot of table tops and doors would likely find one quite handy.

jtk

glenn bradley
10-24-2013, 2:54 PM
Sliding it "out of the way" to get at drawers proved unsatisfactory for me so I do without. This does not mean that you will feel the same ;-)

Nelson Howe
10-24-2013, 5:50 PM
I really like mine. I don't have drawers below my bench top, so it's never in my way. I would miss it if it got up and walked away.

Nelson

Judson Green
10-24-2013, 6:05 PM
You could do a bench slave. I've got something of a hybrid for my bench and I kinda like that not always on the bench. Don't use it very often but sure glad I got it.

John Sanford
10-24-2013, 7:10 PM
I really like mine. I don't have drawers below my bench top, so it's never in my way. I would miss it if it got up and walked away.

Nelson It is quite a bother when they transform from sliding deadmen to sliding undeadmen. :eek:

Brian Holcombe
10-24-2013, 7:37 PM
I saw one that clamped into the tail vise and had a ratcheting part that adjusted the height. Have any of you any experience in building a ratcheting assembly out of wood? Seems intuitive but I wonder the pitfalls specific to wood.

Jim Matthews
10-24-2013, 8:10 PM
I built mine to ride on a rail in front of a chest of drawers.

I've been stuck, once or twice -
looking for things stored behind it.

Rectification isn't involved, if required.
I mean, it slides, ​after all...

Mine is removable, slid to the side away from the leg vise.
It can be positioned adjacent to the vise, but is rarely in that position.

I take it off to clean the lower rail.

Jim Ritter
10-24-2013, 9:08 PM
When I built my bench I left a blank area next to the leg vise (too close to be useful anyway) so I could remove it.

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m628/boatman53/workbench/dfc1d5fd.jpg

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m628/boatman53/workbench/7f951058.jpg

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m628/boatman53/workbench/4446325f.jpg

That also meant that the rabbet on the underside of the top did not have to be too deep and the front face of the deadman is closer to the top. Most of the time it hangs on a peg on the left of the bench, I don't use it much but it's nice to know it's there when I do need it. I am now building the chest of drawers to fit under the bench which is why I wanted it removable.
Jim

glenn bradley
10-24-2013, 10:08 PM
When I built my bench I left a blank area next to the leg vise (too close to be useful anyway) so I could remove it.
Jim

That Jim, he be one smart hombre. Best of both worlds.

Karl Andersson
10-25-2013, 8:27 AM
On my Scandi bench, the rails extend past the shoulder vise, so there's no need to use the deadman there-the applied lower rail ends just past the vise and i can take the deaman off if needed, although it doesn't get in the way of things, even now with boards and tools between the stretchers.

Something to consider - if you're at all inclined to install one, it's a lot easier to cut the groove in the underside of the benchtop while you can still flip it over. Of course, you could use applied rails on top and bottom and just have short removable sections at one end.

Karl

Christopher Charles
10-25-2013, 1:57 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I had milled the slot while doing the top and spent last night finishing the deadman. Took approximately 4 hours total over a couple of nights. I left one live edge on it as a nod to Nakashima, whom I admire. And as a reminder that the base is from a couple elm slabs that my friend Luke and I milled with his Woodmizer and came from a tree out of a nearby city park.

The runner is walnut and the deadman is elm. It slides remarkably smoothly for the time being.

I screwed the runner on and can remove the deadman by undoing or lifting the top. A very good idea to leave a space in the runner, which I will employ if I find the deadman gets in the way. I have vague plans for a set of drawers for under the base, but that's a long ways off.

Here's a quick shot. This bench is finished, nearly exactly a year after putting saw to wood! I'll provide a full final analysis after I add a final (secret) accessory...

Cheers,
C

Steve Voigt
10-25-2013, 2:30 PM
Looks good! I also used an applied runner. Looking forward to seeing the finished bench!

Tony Shea
10-26-2013, 11:50 AM
I really think you made the right choice in going ahead with the install. I have neglected to make and install one on my bench since I finished it about 2 years ago and have run into countless situations where I wish I had just installed one. When the thought comes up I am usually in the middle of something that needs to be finished so I just find a way around it and forget about the deadman until the next time I need it. I never routed a slot underneath my top for one so it could prove to be a bit of work to put one in now but something I plan on doing eventually. My biggest recommendation for a sliding deadman is to keep them narrow. My future deadman will be as narrow as I can make it and still be plenty functional. I use the bottom shelf for everything and having a wide deadman would just be cumbersome.

I really like your live edge version, I'm also a big Nakashima fan. I would really consider not installing drawers under your bench. My first bench had a bank of drawers and I hated them in that position. They constantly got in the way. And once in a while I would get something critical clamped up in the vise that took a bit to get in position (such as setting up to mark the pins off the tail board of a large panel) and come to find out my marking knife is still in the drawer behind my clamped up assembly and is unreachable. I would never install drawers on another bench I own or make. But others swear by them and love the storage they provide. My shop is very small and storage under the bench would be very handy but I still would rather have a chest in the way on the floor than drawers under my bench.

Hilton Ralphs
10-26-2013, 2:46 PM
My biggest recommendation for a sliding deadman is to keep them narrow.

Narrow as in width or as in thickness?

Tony Shea
10-26-2013, 3:48 PM
Narrow as in width or as in thickness?

As in width. One row of holes may be enough but even with the more versatile 2 rows of holes your deadman can still be much narrower than is typical. Just a way to get it out of the way of using your bottom shelf. Basically that is where all my handplanes, shooting board, mallets, etc. are put while and after I work.