PDA

View Full Version : Help required

Andy Bassett-Scott
10-24-2013, 8:25 AM
273640273641273642273643273644http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/exclamation.png273645273646273647

Here are pictures of my Record RPML 300. I picked this little baby up at a farm auction the only thing that didn't come with it was a chuck and seeing as I am a total novice any advice on what I need would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you Andy :confused:

charlie knighton
10-24-2013, 9:24 PM
what size is the spindle, is that knob screw off, interesting, not familiar with that lathe,

i would not turn next to a window, espically if i was just starting out, i sent several airborne, good luck

Tom Wilson66
10-24-2013, 9:31 PM
I would recommed you contact Record Power Tools and see if they can send you any information.

Thom Sturgill
10-24-2013, 9:33 PM
Looks like a collet chuck on it. They are used to grip thin dowels. It should screw off. You need to identify the size and thread on the end of the spindle and what taper is used internally on both the head stock and tailstock.

Thomas Canfield
10-24-2013, 9:53 PM
The Record nameplate shows the motor to be 50 cycle British and not 60 cycle used in the US. I could not read the motor nameplate and the motor may have been changed. A 60 cycle motor will turn faster than a 50 cycle and therefore the speeds will be 20% more, 2000 rpm up to 2400, 950 rpm up to 1140, and 450 rpm up to 540 rpm, just as a word of caution. It looks like a fairly heavy duty lathe, but rough unbalanced pieces may present some problems at the slowest speed and definitely at the higher speeds, but about same as the Jet 1014 belt drives.

Mike Cruz
10-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Good info so far. I agree that the FIRST thing you need to do is contact Record and get as much info from them as you can on the lathe. Second, which Record will likely give you, but in case they can't, is figuring out the spindle size. Third (and most importantly, in my opinion) is a MUCH MUCH sturdier table/legs. Now, I'm sure you just have it sitting on there because you just bought it and you needed to put it "somewhere". But don't even play with it on that stand. And out of balance 6" blank could topple the lathe off of that thing. You can sometimes find cast iron legs that might fit it. Or you could build legs out of plywood filled with concrete. Or you could build a cabinet with concrete filled sections to weigh it down.

As you mentioned, you'll need at least one chuck. There are MANY to chose from. For my money (and I mean that!), I recommend the Hurricane HTC 100 for you. The 125 is more than you need. I've got 7 of these chucks and they are really top notch, and for the price, you just can't beat them. You'll need tools. You don't need top of the line tools, but you do need HSS. You should have a slow speed grinder (if you don't already...sorry, I have no idea how "new" you are to turning) for sharpening tools. And speaking of which, there is no easier way, in my opinion, than Oneway's Wolverine system with the vari-grind for bowl gouges.

One more thing you'll NEED. A class. Take a class on basic turning. Either on spindles or bowls, or do both. But you'll want to take at least one class to make sure you aren't doing the wrong things from the get go. You could go to a Woodcraft, or you could find someone like Bill Grumbine who gives all day (or weekend) classes. But do yourself a favor and take a class.

Oops, one more thing! LOTS and LOTS of money to buy all the toys that go with turning. Buying this lathe (especially if you got a deal on it) will be the cheapest part of turning for you.

Good luck!