PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Dish

Donnie Raines
06-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Throwing a big party this weekend for my Father-n-law....he hits the big 60. Going to have some serious grill time....and my favorite is curry chciken rolls....sounds hot...but it's not. Take a chicken breast(the bigger the better) and apply a good coat of oilve oil. Then, layer the inside with spinage and some thin slices of your favorite cheese...we like provalone for this. Next, roll the chicken brest up and pin it with some tooth picks. You then rub some curry powder to the outside of the 'roll'. Cook until done....normally 160 degrees. Man are they good!!...and pretty inexpensive to make.

Throw in some hommade cole slaw, sweet corn on the cob and you ar set(don't forget the homemade lemonade!!) ;)

So, what is your tummy busting favorites??

Jeff Sudmeier
06-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Beer Butt Chicken.... Just what it sounds like, Cut off the top of a can of beer and shove it up the butt of the chicken. Cook the chicken stainding up. I stuff the inside with TONS of garlic and onions as well.

Donnie Raines
06-03-2005, 12:56 PM
Beer Butt Chicken.... Just what it sounds like, Cut off the top of a can of beer and shove it up the butt of the chicken. Cook the chicken stainding up. I stuff the inside with TONS of garlic and onions as well.

We like that one as well. Only we do not use a beer can. We bought these "hold em's" at Lowes that works the same way. Not sure what they are made of, but they are very well made(and re-useable of coarse). We liek to use apple cider inside of it, as well as some gaucho sauce.

John Miliunas
06-03-2005, 1:04 PM
Hey, this is Wisconsin, after all! Beer batter brats, some home-made potato salad and maybe...just maybe a beer or two to wash it down with!:D Best brats in Wisconsin? Schultz's meat market in DeForest. Mmmmmmm..mmmmmm....GOOD!:) :cool:

Steven Wilson
06-03-2005, 3:23 PM
Hmmmm, grilling. Boil some Brats in beer and onions then grill - that's easy and quick. For parties my wife likes making Satay on the grill. Myself, I like to throw a Beef Brisket on the bottom of the smoker, using mequite wood, with various citrus fruits in the water tray. On the top grill of the smoker I like to put on a lamb shoulder and few racks of ribs or a few chickens and let them all cook for awhile. For bread, I make up some sour dough bread (with our well fed sour dough starter that's been maturing for the last 5 years) with one plain loaf and the other mixed with some jalepanos and chedar cheese. Corn, potato salad, cole slaw, and lots of beer - followed by canteloup and strawberries served with whip cream and Grand Mariner or marscapone (if you like it rich).

John Hart
06-03-2005, 4:09 PM
Hey Grandpa...What's for supper?!!!! (Hee Haw for those of you who missed the 70's)

For the grill, my favorite is my own KaBobs with my own Teriyaki recipe

half a quart of soy sauce
fresh ground ginger root (a big chunk of it)
half a minced onion

let that simmer till the onion is transparent. Then dissolve 3/4 a cup of sugar in there.

Beef - onion - pineapple - pork - mushroom - green pepper - chicken - pineapple - onion - beef

grill it, baste it, eat it.

Glenn Clabo
06-03-2005, 4:11 PM
Glenn's IBurger -
Equal parts ground beef, veal, and pork (1lb total makes 6). 1/4 white onion chopped...few cloves garlic minced...oregano ~TBSP...basil ~TBSP...sea salt...crushed pepper...couple of thick slices of day old Italian bread soaked in milk...an egg or 2...hand full of diced mozzarella whole milk cheese...good bunch of worcestershire sauce...favorite hot sauce to taste...all squeezed together and made in patties as big as you like.

Donnie Raines
06-03-2005, 4:17 PM
Glenn's IBurger -
Equal parts ground beef, veal, and pork (1lb total makes 6). 1/4 white onion chopped...few cloves garlic minced...oregano ~TBSP...basil ~TBSP...sea salt...crushed pepper...couple of thick slices of day old Italian bread soaked in milk...an egg or 2...hand full of diced mozzarella whole milk cheese...good bunch of worcestershire sauce...favorite hot sauce to taste...all squeezed together and made in patties as big as you like.

What the hey is sea salt???...something tells me this should be obvious

Tim Morton
06-03-2005, 5:03 PM
Homemade (not by me, but by the italian deli up the street) sweet italian sausage with grilled onion and green and red pepper's....cold beer. dip in the pool and a red sox game....man THAT is a summer evening!!

Norman Hitt
06-03-2005, 5:45 PM
Gosh, Donnie, why did you have to ask this? I guess I just like FOOD Too Well, because I've got so many "favorites" that I honestly don't think I could actually pick just one. Now since this Diabetes thing developed though, it seems that Everything that I really like, is TABOO, so I don't like to even start thinking about food, but I'm working on it, and it's getting better and hopefully I can add a little of the Favorites back on the menu before long. Everything everyone has mentioned so far, (EXCEPT, Any LAMB, cooked any way), sounds pretty good to me, including your Curried Chicken, (which I haven't had since I left the Middle east at the end of the first Gulf war), wouldn't mind having some of that about now.

Gosh, Donnie, even your FIL is still a kid yet. :D

Glenn Clabo
06-03-2005, 8:41 PM
Salt from the ocean as opposed to land salt. It is either sun baked or kiln baked. High in trace minerals with no chemicals or sugar. Good stuff is never too saltly...more like a condiment than typical table spice.

Bill Lewis
06-04-2005, 7:50 AM
We do something similar to your curry chicken. Mix up some creme cheese with some onion and garlic, and whatever. Spread in on the inside of a chicken breast, roll it up, stick it with toothpicks to hold it together, and grill it. It's best if you pound the chicken flat, and dry it with a towel before adding the stuffing. There's just about nothing you can't roll up in a chicken breast.

Man! if we get enough recipies, and we could have a Creeker's Cookbook! We might even have to make a whole new catagory just for food. :D

Bill Arnold
06-04-2005, 8:10 AM
...and NOT the store-bought junk!

I just made another batch -- couple of gallons -- of my recipe. It's got the usual basics in it, but a few herbs and spices give it a nice 'personality'. I gotta go easy on the hot stuff in it since LOML is really sensitive to it, but I add some hot sauce to mine. Depending on our mood, we'll chop up some onion and grate some cheese for toppings.

If you're ever down this way, I'll serve you some, but don't ask for my recipe -- I'm one of those guys who will share any recipe you want except for my chili. By the way, I use beans -- Bush's Chili beans and Black beans. I've made it without beans but we like it with beans.

I think I'll have a bowl for breakfast now!

Ernie Nyvall
06-04-2005, 9:10 AM
I learned to make Mexican food from someone who spent most of their life in Mexico. It's a whole different taste from what you get in a restaurant. Boiling dried peppers of different flavors and scraping the inside and other fresh ingredients. Nothing from a shaker except for cumin. Using chunks of beef chicken, or pork from the grill and dropped into the already cooked spices and fresh tomatoes. I like it best wrapped in a fresh made corn tortilla that has some slightly burned grill marks. Leftovers go in a corn tortilla with eggs and beans the next morning for breakfast.

Ernie

Tom Mullane
06-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Sure thanks you guys... I have been on a diet for the last year and lost 70 lbs still have 70 to go... and you guys are all talking about everything I loved to eat in excess... LOL
I still eat a lot of them, but no longer like I used too... makes the favorite dishes all that more enjoyable... the biggie I miss though is a cold beer... no more since diabetes set in...
But there is something to be said about a rack of baby back ribs with my special dry rub, started in the smoker for couple of hours before hitting the grill and my home made BBQ sauce... even on a diet I have been known to go to excess on those.. especially with some corn we picked about 10 minutes before it hit the grill and some home made cole slaw...

Bill Arnold
06-05-2005, 9:24 AM
I learned to make Mexican food from someone who spent most of their life in Mexico. It's a whole different taste from what you get in a restaurant. Boiling dried peppers of different flavors and scraping the inside and other fresh ingredients. Nothing from a shaker except for cumin. Using chunks of beef chicken, or pork from the grill and dropped into the already cooked spices and fresh tomatoes. I like it best wrapped in a fresh made corn tortilla that has some slightly burned grill marks. Leftovers go in a corn tortilla with eggs and beans the next morning for breakfast.

ErnieErnie,

You're making me long for moving back to Texas for sure now! Living in Texas most of my life I grew up on what they called 'Mexican Food'. I learned later in life that true Mexican food is quite different and much better!

Even the border towns have some great restaurants with fantastic menus. The El Presidente Hotel in Matamoros has a fine restaurant that serves some fantastic chateaubriand. We had dinner there with friends one evening -- cocktails before dinner; chateaubriand for two for both couples; dessert; after-dinner drinks -- total check: $15.00US -- that's right: $15.

Several trips to Cancun introduced us to other native dishes from the Mayan and Mexican cultures. Again, quite different from the dishes served here and much better in every way!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm....................

Mark Singer
06-05-2005, 10:10 AM
A really good fat hot dog...with sauerkraute....a little musted ...("r" omitted intentionally) ....a great bun....now your talking!...Pink's....Nathans....vatch out!

http://www.exoduster.com/hot-dog-1.jpgHey....how did he get in deh? Hu?

John Miliunas
06-05-2005, 11:58 AM
A really good fat hot dog...with sauerkraute....a little musted ...("r" omitted intentionally) ....a great bun....now your talking!...Pink's....Nathans....vatch out!

http://www.exoduster.com/hot-dog-1.jpgHey....how did he get in deh? Hu?

Ahhhh...You just ain't had sauerkraute until you serve it with a good Wisconsin brat!:D (Cut pup, BTW!:) ):cool:

Ken Garlock
06-05-2005, 12:39 PM
my favorite is a one pound T-bone steak grilled over charcoal to a medium rare. Finish it off with some Saltgrass Restaurant seasoning just before serving. Now that is good eating. Throw in some homemade potato salad and lots of iced tea.

Anyone that puts steak sauce on a steak needs to taken out, horse whipped and tied to an ant hill :eek: :mad:

John Miliunas
06-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Anyone that puts steak sauce on a steak needs to taken out, horse whipped and tied to an ant hill :eek: :mad:

No doubt! For me though, the BEST steak is over a wood fire, on a thick grate, with the fire roaring! Throw it on, count to 10, flip it, do it again. DONE!!!:D As long as it ain't "moooo-ing", it's good!:) 'Course, it HAS to be a really, REALLY good cut of meat for that to work properly. Hmmmmm...Black Angus comes to mind.:) :cool:

Norman Hitt
06-05-2005, 1:26 PM
No doubt! For me though, the BEST steak is over a wood fire, on a thick grate, with the fire roaring! Throw it on, count to 10, flip it, do it again. DONE!!!:D As long as it ain't "moooo-ing", it's good!:) 'Course, it HAS to be a really, REALLY good cut of meat for that to work properly. Hmmmmm...Black Angus comes to mind.:) :cool:

By Golly, John, I didn't know anyone north of the Arkansas River really knew how to Cook a Steak on the Grill. :D :D You've got it exactly right, and I agree with Ken too. When asked in a Restaurant, "Can I get you some Steak Sauce"?, the reply from both the LOML and myself is, "I should hope I won't need it", (what I just didn't say, was "If it needs steak sauce, I'll send it back"). :D Now I have been known to sprinkle a little Lemon Pepper or Garlic powder on a steak now and then before I throw it on the grill ;) , and on the other thought, You just can't beat a Black Angus Steak. :)

John, try throwing a handful of Pecan Hulls or better yet, Old Pecans on that wood fire, Mmmmmmmmm...........Good.

John Miliunas
06-05-2005, 2:08 PM
By Golly, John, I didn't know anyone north of the Arkansas River really knew how to Cook a Steak on the Grill. :D :D You just can't beat a Black Angus Steak. :)

John, try throwing a handful of Pecan Hulls or better yet, Old Pecans on that wood fire, Mmmmmmmmm...........Good.

Well then, never heard 'o than one, but I'll have to give it a try! Sounds good.:) LOL...You'd be surprised what some 'o us Nautheners like! :D Hmmm...Smoked Catfish, is another treat and just about *anything* Cajun, if done properly. No...Not the burn your mouth/gut style, but enough to jazz it up with just a touch of afterburn!:) :cool:

Donnie Raines
06-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Lot's of good plated here.

The grill out was a big success. Served up said chicken and even made some venison(thanks to a SMC'er). The venison marinated for 3 days prior and was some of the best I had ever served up. My mother in law brought some of her homemade cole slaw and bakes beans over......mmmmmmmmm :cool:

Great times had by all....a little humid...but fun none the less.

Thanks for shreing folks!...and keep them coming if you like.

Jason Roehl
06-06-2005, 6:58 PM
John, I'll have to go with you on the brat/sauerkraut/mustard(spicy is best) combo, all washed down with a good brew. Hard to beat that. I like to smoke my brats for a couple hours on occasion, too. I don't like steak sauce anymore, since I grill mine over charcoal with a few hickory chunks, and a blend of garlic granules, salt and white pepper while they're on the grill. Medium rare, of course. One inch thick is a good place to start, too.

Daniel Rabinovitz
06-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Say folks
Just thought of something that will enhance your Bar-B-Que's this summer.
Corn on the cob
But for simplicity, don't shuck them - just put them on the grill (no! don't submerge them in water, beer or whatever) - Just put them on the grill.
Now be careful where you place them and for how long.
I put the meat on the left side of the grill over the flames and the corn on the right side (indirect heat) for about 20 minutes (turning once at 10 minutes).
When you take them off - the silk has been flamed (outside strands) or dries (inside) and pulls off really easily. Of course the leaves come off nicely.
The corn has been steamed from the inside out. They're hot so watch your fingers. Now, where did I put those corn holders, last year?
Get out the butter!
Daniel :D