PDA

View Full Version : Any wine makers on here?

roger seckler
10-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Anyone make home made wine? I have been making wine for a number of years.

Wade Lippman
10-24-2013, 12:09 AM
I made dandelion wine once. Lots of work and not particularly good. I just like the name I guess.

Ryan Mooney
10-24-2013, 12:24 AM
Yep, intermittent but I do a batch or two every so often. More beer, cider and mead lately. Mostly fruit and berry wines which largely depends on ingredient availability.

My best "recent" batches have been:

The '07 blackberry with excessive amounts of blackberry (all gone)
The '11 Cyser (only sort of a wine, cider+mead but I used a wine yeast so :D). Perhaps a little tooo smooth (all gone)
the '07 Cherry, getting a little long in the tooth but was real good a year or so back and I made a lot of it (60lbs of cherries in 12 gallons)

My grandparents always made wine when I was a kid and I picked up the habit from them. Pretty fun and interesting.

Ralph Okonieski
10-24-2013, 7:35 PM
I made wine twenty years ago or so but have not done so since. I've just gotten lazy. I made it for my wife.

Bill Bukovec
10-25-2013, 12:25 PM
It was twenty years ago for me too. Our house had a great spot for grapes and we got bumper crops.

My plan is to get back into wine making as soon as we move to Tenneessee and grow some grapes.

My Grandma used to make "slivovitz" (plum brandy) when I was a kid.

I was very impressed that she could make a clear liquid burn by setting a match to it. It also warmed you up when you drank it. Purely for medicinal purposes (of course)

To this day, the only chemistry I know is yeast and sugar makes alcohol. But then, what more do you need to know?

Bill

Rich Engelhardt
10-25-2013, 1:09 PM
My Grandma used to make "slivovitz" (plum brandy) when I was a kid
That's some wicked stuff!!

All the Hungarian & Yugoslav painters I dealt with back in the 60's and 70's ran on a mix of half coffee/half slivovitz.
I was warned early on when I started running delivery's to them on the job site to never accept a cup of coffee from any of them.

Ryan Mooney
10-25-2013, 5:45 PM
To this day, the only chemistry I know is yeast and sugar makes alcohol. But then, what more do you need to know?

Well you could learn the whole krebs cycle (vastly simplified):

If nothing else looking at a slightly more expanded version will help you understand why your beverage ended up tasting like butter or paint thinner.. :D