PDA

View Full Version : Moving the controls on laguna 18/47

allan kuntz
10-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Does anyone have any experience or ideas on how to move the controls on a Laguna 18/47 or equivalent. I would like to move it and put it on a pedestal like on a Oneway. I do a lot of turning off the end of the lathe and if something goes wrong I do not like the idea of having to reach in front of the spinning problem. Any ideas.
Thanks
Al

Steve Schlumpf
10-24-2013, 12:00 AM
Allan, I had a similar need when using my Jet 1642. Instead of moving the controls, I made a remote on/off switch that allowed me to start/stop the lathe anywhere on the lathe. Just one option for you to consider.

allan kuntz
10-24-2013, 12:09 AM
i would like to move all of the controls
Al

Duane Meadows
10-24-2013, 8:56 AM
Really shouldn't be too hard to extend the wires. If you have to ask how, perhaps you should think about hiring it done?

Dwight Rutherford
10-24-2013, 12:10 PM
I agree, it isn't hard to do. Since you want to be able to have all of the controls, all you are effectively doing is adding an extension cord. If you remove the entire control panel, find an appropriate box to fit them in, count the number of wires that are attached to the control panel and go to an electronics store for a length of cable then attach your "extension cable" to the wires in your headstock and panel. All that is left to do is find a steel plate to cover the hole in the headstock, fix some rare earth magnets to the back of the new control box. Now you can put the controls anywhere you wish. I used a 5 foot extension for my Jet 1642 and it works great.
(I took a picture of the back of the control panel before I cut the wires, this way I could make sure I was connecting the blue wire to the blue wire, red to red and so on.)
BE SURE TO UNPLUG THE LATHE FROM ALL POWER BEFORE YOU BEGIN !!