PDA

View Full Version : My First Large Burl

James White
10-23-2013, 9:17 PM
I purchased this 3' diameter oak burl from a guy who sells firewood. It was too big to fit on my mill. So it took some careful chains work to get it down to 24"x32" which is the max cut on my mill. I wound up with five 2.5" thick book matched sets and a few individual slices. Although it is not the crazy figure you see on some burls. I am quite pleased with them. Sometimes burls are too intense for something like an end or coffee table. Ill probably use one or two of the sets and sell the others. I had fun slicing this monster up.

James White
10-23-2013, 9:29 PM
I had some trouble uploading. But I think I got it now.

Jay Rasmussen
10-24-2013, 1:17 PM
Very nice James, please post when you're finished whatever you decide to create.

Mark Bolton
10-24-2013, 2:05 PM
James,
Do you mind me asking what a burl like that sold for? I have often wondered. Some time ago driving near my shop I had seen a massive maple burl in a guys driveway. This burl was easily 5-6' in diameter. He said he had it out for bid, where I dont know, and had no idea where he'd gotten it but I always wondered what it went for.

James White
10-24-2013, 2:26 PM
James,
Do you mind me asking what a burl like that sold for? I have often wondered. Some time ago driving near my shop I had seen a massive maple burl in a guys driveway. This burl was easily 5-6' in diameter. He said he had it out for bid, where I dont know, and had no idea where he'd gotten it but I always wondered what it went for.

Mark,

I got it as part of a package deal with my firewood. Between my neighbor and I we purchased over 15 cord of wood and I was the one who negotiated the whole deal. However I was quoted $200 for a similar burl. That was from another logger who said he often sold logs to private saw mill operators. I don't know if he ever sold it. The problem is. Especially with oak. You never know what will be inside.

James

Andrew Hughes
10-24-2013, 2:28 PM
That's nice James the last photo looks like a owl.I seen some burls that have monster faces in them yours looks like there going to be okay.

Tom Walz
10-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Looks like an owl to me as well.

Nice job on the cutting.

Actually, I am a little jealous of your skill, your mill and your talent.

Tom

James White
10-25-2013, 4:04 PM
That's nice James the last photo looks like a owl.I seen some burls that have monster faces in them yours looks like there going to be okay.

That is a relief! I hear the church is getting top dollar for exorcisms now a days.:)

Edit:
I just had another look. Set 2-3 is starting to worry me.

Thank you all for your comments.

James