PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Penn State Utility Grip 4 Jaw Chrome Lathe Chuck

Ron Kanter
10-23-2013, 8:50 PM
Picking up my Nova DVR DX this weekend. Need a chuck.
Penn State has a package on this chuck that includes two jaw sets, a screw chuck, and 8" flat jaws for $90. Seems like a really good deal and get positive reviews on the Penn State site.
http://tinyurl.com/pennstatechuck
I know it takes two (or three) hands to tighten the jaws. I think I can live with that. It also requires an adapter to make it fit the 1 1/4" threads on the Nova. I am not to pleased with that and worry that adding one more element could introduce some runout.
My question is primarily about the quality and utility of the basic jaws. I am buying a quality lathe; will I be sorry I didn't spend more money on a different/better chuck?

Thom Sturgill
10-23-2013, 9:11 PM
You generally get what you pay for. I own two barracuda 2 chucks - they came with 4 sets of jaws and I bought the cole jaws. Don't like any of them. I also bought the deep jaws and the dovetail jaws and they work fine, so I keep the chucks just for those jaws and use my SN2 chucks for everything else. I do like the 1-8tpi to 3/4" incha adapter. That would allow me to mount it on my live center.

For my money, this is a better deal http://www.novatoolsusa.com/RECONDITIONED-SuperNOVA2-Wood-Turning-Chuck-23055-R.htm

Curt Fuller
10-23-2013, 10:26 PM
I've got a Pennstate Barracuda chuck that I use on my small Delta and I've liked it a lot. The only thing I would say about this particular chuck you're looking at is that it's kind of the old style that uses the tommy bars to tighten the jaws. It can be somewhat of a three handed process at times and pretty awkward. But they hold as well as the single keyed chucks. Over time I think the extra few bucks for the keyed version might be well worth it. And on that point, buying a chuck that uses a threaded insert to mount on your lathe would also be something worth the extra money over time. I'veread about quite a few problems with run out on chucks with adaptors.

Thomas Canfield
10-23-2013, 10:33 PM
I would tend to agree with all Thom said above, but then I also received aPenn State Utility chuck package today that I ordered with an additional 10% off to have as another chuck to supplement my existing Oneway Stronghold and Talon, Nova 2, Nova Mini, and the mini chuck package from Craft Supply. I plan to use it more for turning rough outs and run out concern was not a big factor. Granted that the bars are more difficult and I also prefer straight jaws, but the price and additional jaws make it an attractive package, especially starting out to have some flexibility. My preference is the Talon unless the Stronghold is needed for larger items.

jared herbert
10-24-2013, 7:29 AM
I would second the idea that you usually get what you pay for. For not a whole lot more money you can get the reconditioned supernova 2 chuck, much easier to use and more versatile. I have several of them and have been happy with all of them. Jared

Bill Bulloch
10-24-2013, 8:27 AM
The first chuck I bought when I started turning about five years ago was Penn States Utility Chuck. It was a waste of money. The jaws do not hold very well, they will work loose with use; there is no positive stop when expanding the jaws and they will actually pop out of the chuck if you expand too far; the tommy bars are to thin, mine actually bent when trying to get then tight enought to hold a bowl. I wrote a review on the Chuck for Penn State but, of course, they did not print it. I did, however, find a use for it, I use it as a dedicated chuck for my (Nova) Cole Jaws. You can get the Nova G3 Chuck for just a few more dollars. Search around the web, I have seen thm for as little as $125.00. -- Much better buy.

Tim Leiter
10-24-2013, 10:07 AM
I bought the PSI utility chuck and the pen drilling jaws for use as a blank drilling chuck. It works great for that application. I also got the free cole jaws that I plan on using. I haven't used it for anything else yet, but I can't foresee any problems with it. I don't like spending money on "name brands" just for the sake of saying so. I like to keep my money and try to use it wisely......Tim.

Mike Cruz
10-24-2013, 12:06 PM
I, personally, am not a fan of the two handled chucks. Some may no mind them, but I do. I don't know that particular chuck, so I cannot comment on it specifically. You know what my recommendation would be... ;) Just ordered two more of them!

Thomas Canfield
10-24-2013, 9:36 PM
I opened my PSI Utility chuck this morning and have this update on opinion. It is a large heavy piece for the #2 jaws mounted. The jaws are straight serrated which I prefer over dovetail for use over wider range of sizes since the dovetail work best when used near the closed position more than serrated in my experience. The #1 step jaws will work for small diameter tenons (1" or less it would seem) and for 2 ranges of internal diameters. I did not try the cole jaws or even change the jaws. I did use the worm screw with the #2 jaws to mount a 2x4 disk. rounded the outside and turned a tenon which I then mounted in the jaws. The remounted bowl seemed to run true and jaws worked OK using the Tommy bars. The 1" to 3/4" adapter furnished is not the same 3/4" thread used on the Oneway live center, but I did give it to a friend to use on his old Sears lathe to use a 1" chuck. Again, I would suggest this as a lower cost way to get some flexibility to start turning or for having some added feature like cole jaws or the mini step jaws set up on regular basis to avoid changing jaws on regular chuck. A mini chuck body would be easier to work with on the mini lathes.

David C. Roseman
10-25-2013, 10:06 AM
[snip] You know what my recommendation would be... ;) Just ordered two more of them!

Mike, how many HTC Hurricanes does that bring you to?! Is it time for an intervention? :)

David