PDA

View Full Version : Questions about how to build literature rack

Rusty Hughes, Indy
05-16-2003, 10:53 AM
Hello,

I have been approached by our church to see if I could build this style of a literature rack. Before I tell them that I can, I wanted to pick your brains about a few construction details. I only have this picture to go by for the original to too far away to travel to, and I was asked to make it exactly as shown.

First question is how would you do the joinery for the front covers? I was thinking maybe something like a louvered door jig.

Second question is what do you think the thicknesses and dimensions are for this rack? I was thinking 1/2" thickness for the sides and 1/8 " for the front covers. As for the overall dimensions, I was thinking that 11" tall for the bottom section and then maybe 4" for each area on top of that, making a total of 47" tall. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks for taking the time to ponder my questions. And thanks to Ken for his helpful hints page on getting pics in the post.

Rusty
** hoping this pic works **

Charles McKinley
05-16-2003, 8:30 PM
You may want to go to Ofice Depot, Staples, etc. to soo what they have similar to the one in the picture. You may be able to purchase it for a fraction on what it would cost you to build. I'm not saying it would be as nice nor the same quality but less expensive.

If they have one you could at least get measurements off of it.

Just a thought,

Good Luck