PDA

View Full Version : bicycle hoists

Brian Tymchak
10-23-2013, 7:55 AM
Good Morning all,

We have our first snow flakes of the season this morning! Quite a bit early for us here in Central OH (IO).

Anyway, I've decided to find a new home for my wife's bicycle in the garage so I can free up some floor space. Was looking at rope/pulley hoists like these (http://www.amazon.com/RAD-Cycle-Products-Bike-Hoist/dp/B000PEURIQ). I'm wondering if my wife who is of pretty small stature will be able to raise and lower her bicycle (maybe 25 lbs?) using a hoist like this from an 11' ceiling. Anyone have any experience in this regard?

There also is quite a price range on these hoists, from about $9 - $40. So, I'm sure there are quality differences. If anyone could offer a good recommendation of brand, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Brian

Grant Wilkinson
10-23-2013, 9:53 AM
I have a lower end one and an upper end one, and the differences are hard to see. My wife can use it for her trail bike, but I had to "customize" the hooks that connect to the bike. They wanted to slide off both the seat and the handle bars when I got it. I made them more U shaped and now they are fine.

John Altberg
10-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Brian,

We use the exact pulley from Amazon that you linked to. They work great once you get the hang of them and get the hooks adjusted/bent properly. The bikes can be taken clear up to the ceiling with ease. Your wife should have no problem, as the principle of a pulley is to make lifting easier! The only knock on these, IMO, is the cheap rope that they come with. If you let it slide through your hands too quickly, it is prone to give you a bit of a rope burn. I have never gotten around to replacing it since quality rope would probably cost more than the unit!

John

Bruce Pratt
10-23-2013, 10:50 AM
With the pulley arrangement shown, there is a 4:1 force multiplier. For a 25 lb bike, the force required will be 6-7 lb + friction of the pulleys. Should not be a problem.

Kevin Bourque
10-23-2013, 12:48 PM
I installed 4 sets of the pulleys you have shown in the picture in a customers garage. They work just fine and should be no problem for anyone to operate.

The only issue I found was that if you are tall, or if the ceiling is low, the hanging bikes can become head-bangers.

Steve Peterson
10-23-2013, 12:59 PM
I have a setup that is very similar to the link. It is really easy to lift the bikes due to the 4:1 ratio. You do end up with 32' of rope after you have lifted the bike 8'. And it is a little bit fiddly at the beginning to get the hooks to hold on. Once the bike is in the air it stays in place.

I have no idea about the quality of various models. I got mine at REI for $30-40. They are good quality.

Steve

Brian Tymchak
10-23-2013, 1:52 PM
Thanks guys! Just the kind of info I was looking for. Really appreciate the tips.

...Now we'll see if I can sell my wife on it.. ;)

Mike Cozad
10-23-2013, 8:49 PM
I have all of our bikes and 2 kayaks suspened using these. Save some big money and either wait for them to go on sale at Menards for $7.99 or buy it at harbor freight on or off sale. They are exactly the same product in a different box.

Oh and my wife can easily raise and lower her 45lb kayak on her own..... And the kayak is bigger than she is lol...