PDA

View Full Version : pm2000 initial impressions and shop

bob cohen
10-22-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm in love! Took delivery on new PM2000 cabinet saw (from Southern tools) last week. Finally prepared enough new shop space to wheel it down from garage to basement, uncrate it, and get it mostly assembled. So far I am liking this puppy much more than my unisaw (purchased new in 2002). Mounting wings was a snap. Dead flat. Great big throat plate, casters work well. And love the chrome hand wheels. Will give thorough review once I have it wired and run some test cuts. And, I know, more pics!

In case you are wondering why I sold by unisaw, it was because I moved (from kansas to clemson) and it was easier to sell my old stuff than try to move it all, especially since I had a basement shop with no outside access. Plus the guy who bought my house was a woodworker, and my new shop space was going to take some time to get ready. It has been a lot easier doing that without a bunch of stationary tools in the way. I will also post shop more pictures at some point....promise. The new shop is a little smaller than my old one (a 13.5 X 13.5 room connected by double doors--which i have removed--to a 21 X 21 room. There is also a connecting 4X 13 space (that contains the furnance that was just big enough to accommodate my chop saw (okay one pic). The shop opens up to a back patio area that is protected (and kept dry) by a first floor porch and which I think I can use as a lumber overflow area. I went with the 30" fence on the table saw to save space. I am also planning on getting a jointer-planer combo machine (probably hammer 12 inch, but have not rule out felder) to save additional space. These decisions are all a lot easier now they would have been when I set up my first shop, because I now know how I work and what I really need. Oh yeah, I also picked up a new powermatic PM1900 dust collector. Its okay, but I wish I had room for my old oneida cyclone. My next purchase will either be bandasw (leaning heavily towards Laguna T18) or the jointer-planer combo.

Mike Wilkins
10-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Congrats on the new saw. Even more congrats on the move south and the opportunity to start over on a new shop. Let us know how well you like the P'matic dust collector. I need to upgrade from the 1.5HP Delta single-stage I have now to something that can handle my 25" dual-drum sander. I believe Wood magazine had an article on dust-collectors, and your DC was one of the recommended ones. Enjoy.

Paul McGaha
10-23-2013, 5:19 PM
Congratulations Bob,

Looks like some fine tools you picked. If I had to replace my Unisaw (hope I never do) I think the PM-2000 would probably be the 1st thing I'd look at.

It must be pretty neat to put a shop together for the 2nd time. I'm thinking all the "if I had to do it again I'd do this instead" ideas must have come into play.

Good looking dust collector too.

PHM