PDA

View Full Version : Curved tool rest with 5/8" post recommendation?

Dan Masshardt
10-22-2013, 8:41 PM
I'd like to get a curved tool rest for turning bowls on my Jet 1221, but need to find one with a 5/8" diameter post.

Also any comments on ones made from round stock vs flat edge on top? Woodcraft has a modular setup. Not sure if it's any good.

John Keeton
10-22-2013, 8:45 PM
I think Brent at Robust Tools will make a curved rest on special order with a 5/8" post. Great rests and worth an inquiry.

Jeffrey J Smith
10-22-2013, 8:56 PM
Robust does have a 'mini' toolrest series that includes the new 'j' rests. I find a 'J' rest to work well on the inside of larger bowls. Like John says - call Brent at Robust. Since they're already making 5/8" rests, I'd bet he'd take an order for a curved rest on the same post. They're great tool rests...

Tim Leiter
10-22-2013, 9:22 PM
I use a curved tool rest from PSI, it is made from round stock. Very reasonable cost and it has a 5/8" post. It has two different curves, one for inside the bowl and one for the outside. This works well for smaller bowls, don't know how it would work on a large one: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CLTSJ.html Tim.

Dan Masshardt
10-22-2013, 9:44 PM
I use a curved tool rest from PSI, it is made from round stock. Very reasonable cost and it has a 5/8" post. It has two different curves, one for inside the bowl and one for the outside. This works well for smaller bowls, don't know how it would work on a large one: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CLTSJ.html Tim.

I was thinking of trying this first because of the price and I'm turning some smaller bowls now.

There are some reviews about the post being too short. I'm a little concerned about this with the midi lathe. Maybe they lengthened it since.

What lathe do you use it with Tim?

Dan Masshardt
10-22-2013, 9:45 PM
The robust rests look great. I'm thinking about waiting on something like that because I might need a bigger lathe eventually. :-)

Wally Dickerman
10-22-2013, 9:49 PM
Check out the Delta curved rest. CSUSA has them at a very low price. I have one and like it.

Thomas Canfield
10-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Check Robust for length of the J post they have for the mini. The 12" lathe needs a longer J than what is needed for the original 10" minis. I had one made locally with 8" long J that has a 4"R bend starting 4" from post that works OK on my little Nova Comet 12". I have a large 1.25" round straight bar for my 3520B and found the large diameter bar did not give good control like a flat or small round bar, and also I added a "finger guard" under the bar to help ensure my hand stayed on my side of the bar.

Tim Leiter
10-23-2013, 9:17 AM
I was thinking of trying this first because of the price and I'm turning some smaller bowls now.

There are some reviews about the post being too short. I'm a little concerned about this with the midi lathe. Maybe they lengthened it since.

What lathe do you use it with Tim?

Dan, I use the PSI tool rest with my Jet 1014. It is plenty big enough for anything I can turn on my lathe. I have not noticed it being any short at all..........Tim.

Paul Williams
10-23-2013, 10:20 AM
One more Delta curved rest user. Works good for me. The only think I would like different would be a hardened steel rod on top.

Dan Masshardt
10-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Dan, I use the PSI tool rest with my Jet 1014. It is plenty big enough for anything I can turn on my lathe. I have not noticed it being any short at all..........Tim.

The post being long enough is more my question as my lathe has 12" I guess that's an extra 1" on the post needed.

I think I'm gonna try it. Thanks.

John King
10-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Dan - I tried curved tool rest. Never could get comfortable with it. Sold the curved tool rest. Went back to straight tool rests. Have long one and short one that allow me to easily access all areas of bowl.

Suggest you borrow one from a turning buddy and test drive it on your lathe or test drive one on turning buddy's lathe before making purchase.

Keep in mind that the curve on the tool rest will almost never match the curve of the bowl. That is unless you use the curve of the tool rest to set the shape of your bowls. - John

Marvin Hasenak
10-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Check with rherrel on IAP, he makes custom tool rests.

Dan Masshardt
10-23-2013, 2:34 PM
Check with rherrel on IAP, he makes custom tool rests.

I have one of his. No curved ones though.

Joe Kaufman
10-23-2013, 5:14 PM
I have a Jet 12-20 lathe and Both Robust and PSI hardened rod tool rests. IMO the robust tool rests posts are on the short side when used in the 12-20 lathe. The "J" rest is difficult to keep tight when working towards the end of the "J" - probably more a function of material than length of post. Here are some O/A dimensions- tool surface to bottom of post: Jet factory posts - 5 1/8", PSI EZ Glide Tool Rests - 4 5/8" Robust 6" and "J" rests - 3 7/8". If you want to set the tool rest a little above centerline, there is little of the post extending below the locking screw in the banjo.

Joe

Ken Fitzgerald
10-23-2013, 5:23 PM
I use a Robert Sorby modular tool rest. http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/sorby_modular.htm

I bought because I thought I would be upgrading from a Jet VS-mini. Later when I upgraded to a PM3520B, it was just a matter of buying a new post and all the rests were still useable.

BTW....I have purchased several tools this website. I have always been satisfied with their service.