PDA

View Full Version : What should I pay for this burl wood?

chuck vernon
10-22-2013, 7:32 PM
I have an opportunity to buy some of the largest burl I have ever seen. The Burl must have been about 30" X 48" on the tree. Unfortunately the owner sawed it into slabs vertically. This resulted in 5 slabs, the largest being the 30" X 48". They are then of decreasing size. He gave me the the smallest piece and I turned a small bowl and it has the prettiest grain I have ever seen in a Maple Burl. I contacted him and he has the 3 largest pieces left. They are 3.5", 2.5", and 2" thick. He said he would have to think about a price. Any Ideas as to what a fair price would be for these burl slabs? :confused:

Brian Kent
10-22-2013, 7:52 PM
I have no idea. Would these be cut up for smaller bowl blanks or do you have a mega lathe that can handle 30" or 48"?

John Keeton
10-22-2013, 8:40 PM
Do you intend on selling the bowls? That might help you determine the value to you - which is really what we are talking about here. While one can get a nice platter or bowl from such crosscut pieces, without a natural edge all around, they seem to be less attractive. Just my thought.

The real "value" depends on one's intended use. Unless you can utilize the natural edge, IMO they are worth a lot more as table top pieces or accent pieces in a contemporary piece of furniture.

chuck vernon
10-22-2013, 9:05 PM
I would cut them up for smaller bowls. I even thought about gluing pieces back together with epoxy as I have a gallon I picked up at a garage sale for a bargain price. I am not really in the business of selling things but I might have to to recoupe some of my money.

kevin nee
10-22-2013, 9:44 PM
I would not use garage sale epoxy on beautiful burl. I have heard of epoxy going bad.
I paid $100 for these two birch slabs and the bowls, pens, bottle stoppers ice cream scoops.
came out fantastic. I suggest jumping on the burl. With slabs you can see exactly what you are getting. Where are you located and is big maple burl easily obtainable

Jack Mincey
10-23-2013, 6:13 AM
I have always offered to turn a nice size bowl or platter for persons that have given me wood of any kind. Might try this, if it doesn't work any thing around $100.00 would be a fair price if the wood hasn't started to check already. I like to seal up any wood the day it is cut or at least place it in a plastic bag with some saw dust to control checking.Jack

ron david
10-23-2013, 8:16 AM
whatever that you feel that it is worth to you, but I would check some of the specialty wood places and see what they sell it for and then make a judgement. if he is selling ask him what he expects. he does know that point. remember the worst thing that he can say to you is no!
ron

chuck vernon
10-23-2013, 12:42 PM
The seller contacted me today and I bought the two largest pieces for $200. I am located in northern Michigan so there is lots of wood available. Since I have been only turning for about a year I have not been paying attention to burl wood. I do not know about the availability of such large burl, but this is the largest I have seen. You are right about being able to see what you are getting with slabs. I may also use some of it to make a jewelry box.

kevin nee
10-23-2013, 2:01 PM
Good for you! Now you have a stash and can start looking for deals. I have an expression
"YOU HAVEN'T LIVED UNTILL YOU HAVE GIVEN SOMEONE A TURNED BURL BOWL"
I make small stuff from the cut-offs. Coffee tables, Benches, Guitars there is plenty you
you can do with that material. Get rid of any pith. Good luck and enjoy!

robert baccus
10-23-2013, 11:35 PM
You should have started the bid with your auto, ..bride, choice of kids and all the dogs under the porch.

Rick Markham
10-24-2013, 8:48 PM
I think value is highly arguable with maple burl IMHO. One of my suppliers sells it by the pound. Last time I bought (a couple months ago) it was around $5 a pound, then shipping, which added roughly $1 a pound to the order. However, individual boards and thin slabs can go as high as what someone is willing to pay on ebay. So realistically somewhere between $6 a pound, and whatever you are willing to pay for it is a fair price. (I know that really doesn't help much.)

Mike Cruz
10-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Well, as long as you bought about 35 lbs worth, sounds like you paid fair market value!