PDA

View Full Version : Cutting strips with a Wixey digital fence read out.

Bill Huber
10-22-2013, 2:18 PM
I have been using the DR on the fence to cut strips, but today I was cutting one and I needed it to be 1/2" and it was coming out a little small. I then checked the blade and found it was just over 1/8" and I was using the INC on the Wixey plus and 1/8" to cut the strips.

So after looking at the problem I can up with a little different way of doing it. I could get out the Rockler strip cutting guide but for just one little cut it was just not worth it.

1. With a good straight scrap of wood lay it against the blade on the left side, make sure it is hitting the blade on both front and the back and it is long enough to stick out the front a few inches.

2. Place the wood you will cut the strip from against the wood you have against the blade and then move the fence over until it just makes contact with the wood you will be cutting and lock the fence down.

3. Now hit the ABS/INC button and the Wixey should zero.

4. Now unlock the fence and move it until the Wixey reads a - the width you want and lock the fence.

5. Make the cut, works really great.

1273518 3273519 4 273520 5 273521

Bob Falk
10-22-2013, 6:55 PM
Great tip!

glenn bradley
10-22-2013, 7:48 PM
Good stuff Bill.

Ron Barnes
10-23-2013, 8:23 AM
Great idea. Thanks

Charles Lent
10-23-2013, 9:29 AM
That's how I've been doing it, I but never thought it was unique enough to post. It works very well. So well that I've given away my strip ripping jig and have done it this way ever since I added the Wixey DRO to my Unisaw about 6 years ago. I guess I should rethink my post-or-not decision point.

Thanks Bill for telling the world about this. I should have 6 years ago.

Charley

Bill Huber
10-23-2013, 9:53 AM
That's how I've been doing it, I but never thought it was unique enough to post. It works very well. So well that I've given away my strip ripping jig and have done it this way ever since I added the Wixey DRO to my Unisaw about 6 years ago. I guess I should rethink my post-or-not decision point.

Thanks Bill for telling the world about this. I should have 6 years ago.

Charley

You just never know what has been posted and what has not and what others know or don't know. I guess being I am a new woodworker I will post things that come up that I think a new woodworker may use.

I have been using the -INC to cut strips by adding the 1/8" to what I needed but I have a new blade and I guess that is what started the whole problem. My cut was really close and I am sure it would have worked but it bugged me that it was less then the 1/2" so that is when I had to come up with something different.

I still use the Rockler jig when I have more then one or two strips to cut, it is just so easy to use.