PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on New (in box) Machinery that is 14 yrs Old

George Bokros
10-22-2013, 11:17 AM
I found a new drum sander including stand that was purchased in 1999 and is still in the box. Would you have reservations about purchasing this piece of machinery?

My thinking is as follows:

I could not register the warranty for something that old even though it is new in box.

The lubricants are probably dried up and full service would be necessary before firing it up.

Depending how / where stored it may contain internal rust that would need to be dealt with.

I would not have any of the newer features or product upgrades that a new one would have.

Anything else to consider??

Price is about 40% of the cost of the same sander today.

Thanks

George

Ellen Benkin
10-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Is it a name brand? Can you get service and/or parts? Can you plug it in to see if it works? I think 40% is high.

George Bokros
10-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Is it a name brand? Can you get service and/or parts? Can you plug it in to see if it works? I think 40% is high.

Yes it is name brand so service and parts should be available. Could probably take it out of the box and plug it in.

HANK METZ
10-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Make, model, an image shot- all is helpful, I wouldn't have much reservation regarding any ball bearings, I routinely restore machinery 60+ years old, and rarely need to replace them, or sleeve bearings too for that matter.

Bruce Page
10-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Less than half price sounds like a decent deal to me - if it's a brand name and looks clean. IMO most machinery in the home hobbyist class was better made 14 years ago than what you find today.

John TenEyck
10-22-2013, 12:18 PM
If it's a name brand and meets your needs, grab it quick. New, no matter how old, at 40% of the MSRP is a bargain.

John

Peter Quinn
10-22-2013, 12:21 PM
If it were stored well I wouldn't hesitate to consider it. If it were stored in a very damp location, I'd require a thorough inspection pre purchase, rust and mice can do wondrous damage to a steel machine with a motor. New features....that's up to you to decide how much you value those. I know some of the new ones osscilate, that would sure be nice, otherwise not sure they have changed all that much.

Joe Montague
10-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Would this be an in-person sale, or would you be buying it unseen?

Steve Peterson
10-22-2013, 12:41 PM
The conveyor belt may have 2 semi-permanent kinks in it. They are about $70 on something like a Jet 22/44 sander.

You need to look at it to determine the condition, but 40% sounds like a decent price. Many people consider 50% as a fair price for a sander that has been well used for 14 years.

Steve

George Bokros
10-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Would this be an in-person sale, or would you be buying it unseen?

I would not purchase unseen. I would visit and inspect prior to purchase.

George

Matt Day
10-22-2013, 1:18 PM
I thought about buying that same sander George. Only thing that held me back was that it wouldn't have the adjustable feed rate like the new ones do. Sorry if that's a give away on make/model! Other than that it's a great deal! I would just plug it in and start using it - I highly doubt anything would go bad on it as long as it was kept in at least a semi conditioned location

David Kumm
10-22-2013, 1:23 PM
Sanders that don't oscillate are pretty simple machines. Not much risk if decent quality at the start. Dave

Loren Woirhaye
10-22-2013, 1:23 PM
The only thing I would be concerned about is missing parts. If a machine is assembled, it's obvious.

Joe Montague
10-22-2013, 3:29 PM
The only thing I would be concerned about is missing parts. If a machine is assembled, it's obvious.

Hopefully the unopened box will have all the parts, but its not always a given! Otherwise, I would have no hesitation with buying an old(ish) machine at 40% of retail.

John TenEyck
10-22-2013, 3:58 PM
I thought about buying that same sander George. Only thing that held me back was that it wouldn't have the adjustable feed rate like the new ones do. Sorry if that's a give away on make/model! Other than that it's a great deal! I would just plug it in and start using it - I highly doubt anything would go bad on it as long as it was kept in at least a semi conditioned location

For not a lot of money I'll bet you could retrofit it to have an adjustable feed rate. Actually, I have an adjustable feed rate on my Delta, but almost always run it at the same speed.

John