PDA

View Full Version : Grab bar for shower

Stephen Tashiro
10-22-2013, 3:01 AM
A friend needs a grab bar installed in a shower. The shower has sides that are ceramic tile and I think the the wall behind it is a typical stud wall. It seems to me that a good way to install a grab bar would be to install some sort of plate that could be fastened where there are studs and then to install the grab bar to the plate. (This would allow the grab bar to be placed at the most convenient location instead of where there happened to be studs.) However, I don't see any grab bar hardware that uses this design. Is there such a thing?

In a video Tom Silva installs a tub grab bar into the hollow parts of a wall instead of the studs. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,1631608,00.html Is that a good way to install a grab bar in a shower? The friend thinks the best place for the bar is on the wall that has the faucets on it.

Ralph Boumenot
10-22-2013, 6:24 AM
Tom is using a heavy duty molly bolt type hanger for the grab bar. For my comfort I would rather attach to a stud. I'm thinking that you dont' want to retile so I would try Tom's hangers. I'm sure the manufacturers have tested it and don't want any lawsuits.

Todd Willhoit
10-24-2013, 11:25 PM
The WingIts (www.wingits.com (http://www.wingits.com)) type fasteners are used for mounting the curved shower rods in nearly every hotel in the US, and are used by many aging-in-place contractors. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-24-2013, 11:56 PM
My SIL professionally remodels bathrooms for those who require special aides. I asked this very question as I am sure in a few years I will have to install grab bars in our main bathroom. I don't want to retile that shower surround on the tub. He said they use the Wingits as stated above and he said he hasn't had a failure yet.

Jamie Buxton
10-25-2013, 12:19 AM
One small issue is that you're considering putting the grab bar on the wall with the faucets in it. That wall has plumbing in it -- supply plumbing to the faucets, perhaps anti-hammer arrestors above those, and a run up to the shower. Think about that stuff before you start blowing big holes in the wall for the Wingits.

Matt Meiser
10-25-2013, 8:10 AM
The WingIts (www.wingits.com (http://www.wingits.com)) type fasteners are used for mounting the curved shower rods in nearly every hotel in the US

The ones that are often in some state of falling off the wall? ;)

Todd Willhoit
10-25-2013, 11:15 PM
The ones that are often in some state of falling off the wall? ;)

You're not supposed to do pull-ups on them Matt! ;)

Sam Murdoch
10-26-2013, 8:09 AM
My experience is with MOEN grab bars and their "Secure Mount Anchors" http://www.moen.com/bathroom/safety/_/N-67x Watch the video on the right of the page under " featured innovation". These are excellent - very rugged - and available (often) at the box stores. I highly recommend these from my experience with 3 elderly household retrofits. 2 of these were through existing tile walls - a carbide tipped hole saw made that easy. I think I paid $ 18.00 for the correct size hole saw.

Tom Leftley
10-26-2013, 6:01 PM
I just finished doing this same thing this week when I converted from a tub to a walk-in shower to accomodate my wife after hip replacement surgery.

I anchored the grab bars to the studding. The main reason was that with the new walls made of "Kurdi-board" I was concerned about the wall board not supporting the grab bars.
Another reason was that there was a risk that the ceramic tile could crack if pressure was applied between the studs. Pressure being when the screws were tightened.

I installed one on the back wall and one on the wall with the shower control. It was quite easy since I put in additional studding on that wall for the grab bar.

In your case, you may not know what material is behind the wall tile. Using toggle bolts requires a 5/8" hole if I recall. Oh yes, make sure you use a carbide tipped drill bit. Using a normal steel drill will take forever.