PDA

View Full Version : Stuff to keep me busy during winter.....

James Tibbetts
10-21-2013, 9:24 PM
273471273472So I went to a barn sale just 'cause I never had, and found a tool box with some stuff.
What is the best way to go about cleaning up the plane and it's components? Should I re-paint anything or just leave as is?
The plane is only marked "made in USA"; the twist drill is a Yankee 131A. Anyone know anything about these?

Thanks folks,
Jim

Dave Parkis
10-21-2013, 10:19 PM
The rabbet plane looks like it should make a good user, especially if it came with the fence and depth stop. I'd wash it down with mineral spirits and a de-greaser, get rid of any rust and hone it. If the spring is good on the 131A, they are a great tool, although the large version isn't nearly as handy as the smaller models. It will drive a 2" screw really easy. It also looks like you got a bunch of parts to a fiberboard plane (193) and a cabinet scraper.

Joe Tilson
10-22-2013, 9:16 AM
James, I happened upon a #130A "Yankee" this past weekend and a Disston hacksaw from the 1850's with the inch worm stamp on it. Got the screwdriver for $4 and the hacksaw for $10. Will post pics later. I was in KY over the weekend and had need for a hacksaw to cut some PVC pipe, so the hacksaw was a lucky find, just because of the need. You have done well!

James Tibbetts
10-22-2013, 12:40 PM
I thought for the momumental investment of $20.00, this would provide many cold days worth of mindless activity over the winter. What deal!!:D