PDA

View Full Version : dewalt chuck wobbles

Paulh Tremblay
10-21-2013, 8:29 PM
I bought a Kobalt drill and driver set over the weekend, and when I put the connector in the chuck, I noticed the unit had a huge amount of wobble. I attributed this to the Kobalt tool, until I put several other bits in the chuck and noticed they wobbled as well. I had never noticed this before. The large diameter of the kobalt piece really brought out this defect.

If you look at this link, you can see what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-PM2D2Vt7s

The drill is a 3/8 inch corded dewalt and is about 7- 10 years old. It might have always wobbled for all I know.

Is there any way to fix this or should I just get a new drill?

Also, I plan to do a lot of doweling joints and am thinking of a 1/2 inch corded drill. (I don't have any needed for a cordless drill.) I have read that 1/2 inch drills have a slower speed, and are therefor less likely to burn the wood.

Rich Engelhardt
10-22-2013, 8:13 AM
My 18V cordless DeWalt wobbles too.
I use it mainly for rough work & driving screws so I'm not too upset about it.

Joe Kieve
10-22-2013, 8:17 AM
From the video, it looks to me more like the spade bit is out of round than the chuck wobbling. Try another type bit and see if it still wobbles as much.

glenn bradley
10-22-2013, 8:48 AM
I wonder if a bit has slipped at some point and raised a burr on one of the jaws. Have you tried a light and a magnifying glass and doing an inspection of the jaws? Replacement chucks are not real expensive either if it proves faulty.