PDA

View Full Version : Shop Made Tool Rest

Jim Koepke
10-21-2013, 7:46 PM
Here is another episode of fun with a hand crank grinder.

The tool rest mount on this grinder was broken so an alternative was fashioned out of scrap. So far it works okay but the chisels need considerable length to grind at this angle, approx 15º. Not likely to grind many chisels at that angle.

This thing cost me $1, so can't really complain about the tool rest problem.

After cleaning up an old junker 3/4" chisel, only marks on it are "Forge Steel USA, it was put to the test.

Well, maybe it is time to shine it up and make it a handle.

jtk

Mike Hutchison
10-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Jim
Nice Work/Concept
I think I will try that approach and the reason should be apparent from 2 Pics below
Getting myself all balled up about distance from wheel, alternate interior angles, etc.

Appreciate the Type determination on the No. 6
Mike H.

Chuck Nickerson
10-22-2013, 12:51 PM
That chisel length/15* problem can be solved by digging out a channel towards the back of the platform.
I think you'll find you don't need that much registration for the chisel blade.

I only know this because I have a set of paring chisels with the primary bevel at 18*.

Tony Shea
10-22-2013, 3:58 PM
That's a good idea Jim. very intuitive. I may have to steal/borrow your idea to try out on my hand crank that has been sitting around for a long while.

Jim Koepke
10-22-2013, 7:18 PM
I may have to steal/borrow your idea to try out on my hand crank that has been sitting around for a long while.

Feel free to steal/borrow as that is why it was posted.

If you look you will see the mortise was cut to allow movement for the rest. When it came time to use the horizontal bar got in the way of a chisel with a handle. A little wood was removed at the end and decided it would be okay to move the grinder if it was needed.

There is also a hinge mortise in the movable part of the rest.

jtk

george wilson
10-23-2013, 6:46 AM
You really need to cover that wheel. If it ever blows up,you might get blinded. Grinding wheels DO GET MORE BRITTLE with age. They do have a shelf life most definitely,so at least make a crude but strong guard. Shelf life of grinding wheels was discussed at length on a machinist's forum. They keep crystalizing as they age.

Please take this seriously before you have a permanent injury that could be life changing.

Jim Ritter
10-23-2013, 7:44 AM
George the first photo is of a hand cranked grinder, I've never seen a hand cranked grinder with a guard. The photo that shows a motor looks like it has somewhat of a guard. Not disagreeing with the need on a power wheel but I doubt I could turn my hand grinder fast enough to be an issue.
Jim

David Weaver
10-23-2013, 8:24 AM
I'll take george's word on the wheels. I have definitely seen the same problem with the older vitrified (same process) norton stones. The indias and carborundum stones get so hard they're almost useless without a diamond hone on them all the time. It was refreshing to see how good the new ones were compared to the old ones - the carborundum stones are friable and the india stones aren't quite so hard.

That hardness would be especially undesirable in a grinder wheel.

Of course, Jim....you know it's only a matter of time before you spy a nice vintage craftsman flat face grinder or something at a yard sale or second hand store and it finds its way into your shop.

george wilson
10-23-2013, 8:43 AM
O.K.,A hand cranked grinder is not in the category as a 3450 RPM bench grinder!!:) But,keep building up your muscles.

I woke up at 5:00 today due to back trouble,and did not look at the picture well enough.

Jim Koepke
10-23-2013, 12:38 PM
George,

Thanks for the advice. I will continue to wear eye protection when using this set up. Most likely it will see limited use.

jtk