PDA

View Full Version : Adding set screws to old planes?

Paul Erickson
06-03-2005, 1:33 AM
Has anyone added set screws to older planes ala Veritas? Was it a worthwhile modification, and what if any problems did you encounter?

cheers, Paul

Jim DeLaney
06-03-2005, 6:53 AM
I've added setscrews to a couple of WWII era Stanleys, and feel it improved them significantly. Drilling and tapping them was noproblem at all, since cast iron taps easily.

WWII Stanleys have a much thicker casting than earlier (or later) planes. Some of the earlier types are very thin along the walls, and I'd be cautious/reluctant to try tapping them. They're so thin that you'd only get about two threads at most.

BTW, I used some gunsmiths taps and screws because of their finer threads. 8-40, as I recall. Got them from Brownells.

Paul Erickson
06-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks Jim,

Would you have any measurements of the casting thickness of your planes so I can compare them with mine. I'm not sure what the vintage is.

cheers, Paul

Roy Wall
06-03-2005, 11:40 AM
I've added setscrews to a couple of WWII era Stanleys, and feel it improved them significantly. Drilling and tapping them was noproblem at all, since cast iron taps easily.

WWII Stanleys have a much thicker casting than earlier (or later) planes. Some of the earlier types are very thin along the walls, and I'd be cautious/reluctant to try tapping them. They're so thin that you'd only get about two threads at most.

BTW, I used some gunsmiths taps and screws because of their finer threads. 8-40, as I recall. Got them from Brownells.

Jim, can you show us some pics of those modifications.......?

Jim DeLaney
06-03-2005, 4:34 PM
Jim, can you show us some pics of those modifications.......?

I don't have any pix at the moment. Let me see if I can take a couple decent ones tonight...

Gene Collison
06-03-2005, 7:52 PM
Has anyone added set screws to older planes ala Veritas? Was it a worthwhile modification, and what if any problems did you encounter?

cheers, Paul

I added setscrews to an ECE Primus 711 Smooth plane. It is really advantageous on that one.

Gene

Paul Erickson
06-03-2005, 9:40 PM
Could you describe in more detail how the performance was improved?

cheers, Paul

Gene Collison
06-03-2005, 9:52 PM
Could you describe in more detail how the performance was improved?

cheers, Paul

In the case of the ECE 711P, the screws center the blade down by the mouth and gives it a place to pivot as compared to wandering wherever it wants to go. In the case of the 711P it makes it much, much easier to adjust. That is a fairly common complaint on that particular plane that the addition of set screws totally correct.

gene

Jim DeLaney
06-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Below are several pix showing the addition of setscrews to a WWII era 4½.

I used 8-40 setscrews, from a gunsmithing catalog (Brownells) because they'd have more threads in the relatively thin walls.

BTW, I measured the WWII wall thickness at 0.240" at the point where the setscrews are installed. An older (~1895) 4½C has wall only 0.131 thick (see photo comparison), and a newer (~1965, blue paint) #4 has walls that are 0.179" thick.

Roy Wall
06-04-2005, 3:00 PM
Jim,

Terrific photos for explaination..thanks.

One question...Is the set screw just on one side...I don't see one on the Right side of the 5 1/2??(from the front view comparing side wall thicknesses...)

If just one, I take it that is sufficient??

thanks again-
Roy

Jim DeLaney
06-04-2005, 3:23 PM
Jim,...

One question...Is the set screw just on one side...I don't see one on the Right side of the 5 1/2??(from the front view comparing side wall thicknesses...)

If just one, I take it that is sufficient??

thanks again-
Roy

There are set screws on both sides. That makes it easy to center the blade within the plane body. Otherwise, it'd be jammed up against the side of the plane on one side. Would probably work, but...

The set screws are short enough that their heads are just below the surface of the plane's cheeks. That's why you can't see them in a straight-on photo.

BTW, both planes in the pix are 4½'s, not 5½'s.

That modified 4½ is my favorite plane (out of the nearly eighty that I own). It has an LN iron, with a Clifton two-piece chip breaker, with a tote and knob from Mike-in-Katy. It's seen a lot of use over the years.

Roy Wall
06-04-2005, 3:46 PM
Jim,

Me bad...I meant 4 1/2.....

I still don't know why I cant see the screws...?? shouldn't they go through and touch the blade...that's what I'm looking for in those straight on shots...

I see they are recessed from the outside of the cheeks...

THanks again.....

Jim DeLaney
06-04-2005, 4:10 PM
Jim,.....

I still don't know why I cant see the screws...?? shouldn't they go through and touch the blade...that's what I'm looking for in those straight on shots...

I see they are recessed from the outside of the cheeks...

THanks again.....

They DO go through and bear lightly against both sides of the blade. I don't know why it doesn't show up in the photo. I guess the blackened screw just 'blends in.'

Paul Erickson
06-05-2005, 1:04 PM
Excellent, thanks very much.

Alan Tolchinsky
06-05-2005, 7:55 PM
They DO go through and bear lightly against both sides of the blade. I don't know why it doesn't show up in the photo. I guess the blackened screw just 'blends in.'
i

Interesting topic. Isn't this the same thing that Lee Valley does with some of their planes? Anybody know who gets the credit for doing this first? Is anything new under the sun? :) Alan in Md.

Jim DeLaney
06-05-2005, 8:24 PM
...Isn't this the same thing that Lee Valley does with some of their planes? Anybody know who gets the credit for doing this first? Is anything new under the sun? :) Alan in Md.

I don't know who might have done it first, but I did mine AFTER I bought an LV plane. I liked the idea, and copied it on that 4½, as well as a 3 and a 4. I like the results. Stanley shouldda done that about a hundred years ago!

Paul Erickson
06-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks again Jim. I have now modified 3 of my planes using 8-36 setscrews, as the taps and setscrews were available locally, and the results are great.

cheers, Paul

Robert Weber
06-23-2005, 1:31 PM
but what is the purpose for the set screws? Take out any wiggle when you use the lateral adjuster?

Jim DeLaney
06-23-2005, 1:39 PM
but what is the purpose for the set screws? Take out any wiggle when you use the lateral adjuster?

Yes, they stabilize the blade's sideways movement. They also allow you to center (or offset) the blade within the mouth opening.

Brad Olson
06-23-2005, 6:38 PM
I have no idea who came up with this first but it is a great feature and makes setting up and keeping a plane set up much easier.