PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Laser Y motor Malfunction

Stanley Waldrup
10-21-2013, 4:11 PM
Hello All, I have a Spirit 30w Laser and it will not get past the Initialization. It comes up with a Y-Motor malfunction. I swapped the Y and X motors and the problem did not follow so its not a motor. All the power supply voltages are right on and I checked out the cables with an OHM meter. no problems found there. Any Ideas other then a main System Board? Thanks Stanley

Hilton Lister
10-21-2013, 5:09 PM
Sorry, that happened to me a couple of months back and it was the main system board.

Rodne Gold
10-22-2013, 2:38 AM
There is a little tab that breaks the optical connection to tell the machine its reached the Y limit at the top of the table when it boots , have a look to see if its not broken off or that it is indeed breaking the optical beam , its by the small pcb , at the right end of the gantry, a protruding tab . Even if its not broken , tape a small piece of insulation tape at the end to extend its reach into the U shaped optical switch and try again , we have had this happen to us a few times.

eduard rodriguez
10-22-2013, 3:56 PM
Hi. It happened to me to 2 years ago. My problem was on mainboard. Fortunately, I replace the 3 "integrated" on mainboard (inexpensive!), those that have heat sink, and the mainboard works again. Good Luck!

Stanley Waldrup
10-23-2013, 7:54 PM
Edu, Can you tell me more about this. Do you have any part numbers or a supplier? Thanks Stanley

Stanley Waldrup
10-23-2013, 7:55 PM
I'm afraid of that!

Stanley Waldrup
10-23-2013, 7:56 PM
Tried it Rodney. All the tabs were in place and tried the tape trick with no luck...

eduard rodriguez
10-24-2013, 12:01 AM
Edu, Can you tell me more about this. Do you have any part numbers or a supplier? Thanks Stanley

Hi again. Here it is a foto of the mainboard.

Marked in red the pices I changed. I didn't it by myself. A guy from an electronic shop did it.

Must have to take a part the 3 heatsinks (it has screws), then desoldering the three integrated pieces (like a chip with spider legs ;) ) and then resoldering the new ones.

The integrated pieces have a number printed.. is the reference to find it on a electronic shops.

..After a year and a half the mainboard fails again.. but this time was a diferent error and replacing this pieces takes no effect. I hope it works for you.

Good luck again Stanley!

eduard rodriguez
10-24-2013, 12:36 AM
Pd: The pieces cost was about $5 each one :-D

Rodne Gold
10-24-2013, 2:40 AM
I think it is the L6203 DMOS full bridge driver.
http://www.st.com/web/catalog/sense_power/FM142/CL851/SC1790/SS1556/PF63230
We tried a repair on an old board using this , but there was something else wrong.

Stanley Waldrup
10-24-2013, 6:39 PM
Thanks Rodne, I will give it a try and let you all know. Stanley

Martin Safranek
10-27-2013, 2:44 PM
I had similar problem 14 days ago with X axis ... and problem was in small board mounted near servo... price about 50 USD. It came when i engrave and after switch off and on machine didnt start .... error was on display during initialization .... Martin

Stanley Waldrup
10-30-2013, 1:12 PM
Was it the Board toward the front of the machine or the one that travels with the X-axis Carrage?