PDA

View Full Version : Lilac and Resin Bowl

Mark Detrick
10-21-2013, 3:38 PM
I had some Lilac wood branches drying for the past year or so. I had hoped to get some pen blanks out of it but even though I sealed the ends the wood, it still cracked to the point where it wasn't much good for pen blanks. The wood was so beautiful that I was determined to find a way to use. From my experience casting pen blanks I decided to experiment. I used a wire bush to remove any loose bark and then randomly stood as much of the Lilac as I could get into a small plastic bucket ( once the frozen Margaritas were gone ). I then mixed up some resin that I use for pens blanks, colored it with a green mica powder, poured the resin in the bucket to fill all the empty space, and put it all in a pressure pot to cure.
The two dissimilar materials were a challenge to turn and I would have liked to gone thinner but I couldn't hold my breath any longer! :D
Overall I'm quite happy with it, and it has been well received ( my wife claimed it immediately ).
The finished bowl measures 5 1/2" in diameter and 3 1/2" high.

Dave Cullen
10-21-2013, 4:48 PM
I like it a lot. Very clever idea.

Michelle Rich
10-21-2013, 6:38 PM
the interior shot looks fabulous..great wood

Stan Calow
10-21-2013, 7:10 PM
Thanks for sharing! I would never have thought of lilac wood being usable. I think my mother's lilac's days are numbered.