PDA

View Full Version : Old Sears Bandsaw Question 113.24260

Matthew Kleinmann
10-21-2013, 2:42 PM
Howdy! I have seen people chatting about this saw before. I have one and I am just getting around to wanting to clean it up and use it.

It had a few issues with the bed wobbling and I have those issues resolved now.

Now I want to get a new band, or bands for it.

Does anybody know the length of the band these take, and the range of the widths they can take?

I measured the wheels and they came in at 12.5" and the distance between the centers was 20.5" and if I figured right that should be a tad over 7 feet (7.02 I think is what I got). I did not see any pre fab blades in that size though.

So, if you have one of these, what size blade do you use on it?

Thank you!

Bill Huber
10-21-2013, 3:32 PM
Just take a string or something like that and put it around the wheels like it was the blade and see what you get.
I didn't find anything on that saw but I did find the 103.2460 and it takes and 80 inch.

Dick Brown
10-21-2013, 4:45 PM
Circumference of the wheel (which will be same as top half of top wheel and bottom half of bottom wheel)= diameter x 3.14 or 3-1/7 plus 2 x center to center = length of blade. 12.5 x 3.14 =39.25" + 20.5 x 2 or 41" = 80.25" . If you can't find a blade, go with 80" or measure with a string as Bill said and go to a good tool store or welding supply store and ask them about making you one the length you need. Our welding supply store will make blades any length and with any tooth count you want.

Gus Dundon
10-22-2013, 4:42 PM
http://vintagemachinery.org/math/beltlength.aspx - We got 80.25" = 6 feet 8 inch 1/4" band saw blade. There are custom welded band saw blades available online http://www.google.com.ph/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Custom+welded+band+saw+blades.

Curt Harms
10-23-2013, 8:17 AM
Many online vendors will make any length you want. One that gets a lot of positive reviews though I haven't used them is woodcraftbands.com. Sorta like Iturra - another good source - a phone call seems to work better than email.