PDA

View Full Version : Seeking 6/4 (or 8.4) Cherry between Pittsburgh & Philly

Brian Parker
10-21-2013, 10:53 AM
I'm going to be working on a corner TV stand and I'd like a nice thick top (and bottom) for it. I've been calling around my local suppliers and can't find a nice supply of 6/4 as most places seem to only stock 4/4 & 5/4. I can order it in from them but was told there is a good amount of time involved with the kiln cycles.

I've read where there are some good suppliers in the middle and eastern part of Pennsylvania. I'm going to be driving out to Philly this week and then driving back to Pittsburgh on Friday the 25th (via PA Turnpike). If anyone has any good places to visit please post or send me a PM.

Brian

Larry Fox
10-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Hearne Hardwoods. I don't know about 6/4 but they typically have very good stocks of 4/4, 5/4 and 8/4 in the bins. If you call ahead they are very helpful over the phone and will tell you what they have.

Prashun Patel
10-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Hearne is the best bet if you're going that way. Plan on spending a little more time and have them walk you around their yard and ask to see the 110" 16/4 walnut they've got drying.

If you wish to go the high road 80, then Horizon in Kersey would be another good choice.

Brian Parker
10-23-2013, 2:27 PM
Thanks for the mention of Hearne, is there any other place(s) that one would recommend?

curtis rosche
10-23-2013, 2:39 PM
Groff and Groff lumber. just bought some 4inch thick stock a few weeks ago.

Dan Neuhaus
10-24-2013, 12:47 AM
Second Groff and Groff and also may want to check Middletown Lumber. May be a bit more expensive but it would be an easy on/off the turnpike in Harrisburg.

curtis rosche
10-24-2013, 9:59 AM
Groffs even has some 6inch stock

Steve Milito
10-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Second Groff and Groff and also may want to check Middletown Lumber. May be a bit more expensive but it would be an easy on/off the turnpike in Harrisburg.

I've purchased a lot of lumber from Middletown. They may not be the cheapest, but they have a very good selection of oak, cherry, and walnut.

Ben Abate
10-24-2013, 7:38 PM
Brian,
have you ever tired Don's custom milling in Uniontown. He's a pretty good guy, he belongs to our woodworking club and usually has some pretty nice wood for sale. Don Phillips is his name. email is donphillips617@hotmail.com phone is 724-562-7758. Here's another place I buy from. they are in Ohio but I usually buy large quanities when I go out there. They're Amish, the name is Trumbull county hardwoods Ltd. phone is 440-632-0555. it's a nice ride out there and the guys are really ok. He has pretty much a store for lumber. They cut, dry, machine and sell all kinds of hard woods. Hey you might want to call Mars Lumber, they're close but expensive. I have about 600 bf of what you want but I'm using if for doors, sorry or I'd let you have some. Mars Lumber will most likely have what you need if you only want a few boards and you don't want to run around.

Alden Miller
10-25-2013, 8:29 AM
A little off your route but not too far is Hicksville Planing Mill in Clear Spring, MD. They are a few miles off of Route 70 west if Hagerstown MD. Give them a call, I would not be surprised if they had what you need in stock.

-Alden

Paul McGaha
10-25-2013, 8:50 AM
+ 3 on Groff and Groff. I've used them several times. Nice people, quality wood, sharp pricing.

http://www.groffslumber.com/

Really nice road trip for me. Several Amish farms in the area.

PHM

Keith Hankins
10-25-2013, 10:01 AM
I live in Pottstown and when I needed 12/4 for a bed went to both Hearn's and Groff & Groff. Both had good stock, but Groff & Groff have better pricing. You could get it from either. You can also go to woodfinder.com and search. Depending on your zipcode you might be surprised and find a local guy.

Chad Bender
10-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Slightly out of the way, but you can't go wrong with Irion.

peter gagliardi
10-27-2013, 8:10 PM
I'll second Irion Lumber as well. Prices are better than some of the others mentioned as well. They should have any thickness and width- even curly cherry!

Rich Enders
10-27-2013, 8:37 PM
I have been dealing with Groff and Groff for years and you don't even need to go there. They are helpful in detail, patient, email photos of what they have, and what they ship, and honest.

Years ago I ordered 100 bf of cherry from them. Upon arrival the most important piece was missing. It was a 16" wide 5/4 board for the desktop of a plantation secretary. I phoned them, and no questions asked they sent it out the same day at their expense. Sort of a throwback to another time in our lives.