PDA

View Full Version : Sloans ... Hardwood Selections....

Corey Hallagan
06-02-2005, 11:48 PM
I build my projects out of dimensioned lumber as I do not have a planer or jointer, nor do I have the space for them. Some day I would like to have a jointer but for now and the last 15 - 18 years this is what I have done. It is very hard to find less than 3/4 inch stock around here. I found a place on the internet that is a scroll saw specialty store that sells hardwood and ply in 1/4 to 3/4 that is finished and sanded 2 sides and ready to use . They say it is all primo stuff. They offer 1/2 hardwoods of walnut, red oak, white oak, cherry, maple, and some of the exotics and up to 11 inch wide boards. All boards are 24 inches long. These would be great for clocks, boxes and scrolling work. Anybody use Sloans and is the quality good? Any problems with cuppping, twisting, warped etc. especially on the wider stuff.
Thanks!
Corey

Bob Tate
06-03-2005, 7:39 AM
Hi, I have been buying wood from Sloans for about 10 years now. They are great people to do business with. I have never had a warped, or any other defect, piece of wood. I just know that if you were not happy David would make it right. They do get some of the defective wood and will sell it to you if you ask them to, at a reduced price. When they tell you they are selling quality woods, trust them. They are very honest and when they give you a ship date, you can count on it. I have a thickness planer, and a thickness sander, and in many cases it is just better for me to order from Sloans.Their prices are some of the best anywhere.

Bob

Pete Simmons
06-03-2005, 8:16 AM
Sloans grades and explaines what he means as GOOD Wood. After using some of their wood I wrote them and explained that I think his name of GOOD wood is incorrect. They have GREAT wood! I buy the thin stuff and use it for inlays. I have been very happy with their wood.

Lou Morrissette
06-03-2005, 8:58 AM
I have bought plywood and some 3/8 and 1/2 hardwood and have been very happy with their stock and service. A good Mamma-Pappa store IMHO.

Lou

Dev Emch
06-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Please post Sloans internet URL.

Scott Loven
06-03-2005, 12:47 PM
http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/default.htm

Corey Hallagan
06-03-2005, 6:58 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Sounds like Sloans is the place to go! Lou, when you going to post some more great Intarsia projects?

Corey

Jack Wood
06-05-2005, 8:16 AM
Sloans is a great place to buy from. I went to visit then the other day and they were really nice and helpful and they stock everything you need to scroll or do craft hobbies with. The hardwood selections they have are well stocked. My wife had to to drag me out of there before I spent my kids college money!:D

Joseph N. Myers
06-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Corey,

I sent you an e-mail.

And you may want to check out Steve Wall Lumber, www.walllumber.com (http://www.walllumber.com/), 1-800-633-4062. They sell thin craft wood in 5 sq.ft. bundles, rw/rl, the normal domestic woods, 10 different exotics at pretty good prices. They sell lengths of 48" so if you need lengths greater than 24", you may want to check them out.

Regards, Joe