PDA

View Full Version : spiral cutter head for 2030 makita

allan kuntz
10-20-2013, 9:34 PM
I have just received a spiral cutter head for my Makita 2030 planer jointer combination unit. If anyone has ever installed one of these in this unit and has any tips that they are willing to share i would appreciate it. I am not mechanically inclined and am a little leery of ripping this apart. Also if any one has a link of an exploded view of this machine. Everyone I have found and printed is not very clear
thank you
Al

Brad Patch
10-21-2013, 9:07 AM
I have just received a spiral cutter head for my Makita 2030 planer jointer combination unit. If anyone has ever installed one of these in this unit and has any tips that they are willing to share i would appreciate it. I am not mechanically inclined and am a little leery of ripping this apart. Also if any one has a link of an exploded view of this machine. Everyone I have found and printed is not very clear
thank you
Al A little confused, is the spiral head for the jointer or planer? Years ago I disassembled my 2030 to replace the arbor bearings, it was a little frustrating but eventually worked out fine. FYI Numerous parts are secured with what looks like Phillips head screws However, they are in fact JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards) they can be identified by a small raised dot on the screw head. These screws can be loosened with a new #2 Phillips bit tapped into the recess. I have a scanned copy of the manual that came with the planer, however as you state its not very clear. While your machine is apart be sure to replace the bearings, which I'm sure can be obtained at numerous bearing suppliers much cheaper than Makita.

allan kuntz
10-21-2013, 9:04 PM
I am replacing both the jointer and planer heads. The new heads come with new bearings already on the shafts. Someone has sent me a manual which will work as I have a computer in my shop so I can blow up the exploded view.
thanks