PDA

View Full Version : Period or reproduction

greg Forster
10-20-2013, 6:02 PM
Ran across this Oak linenfold bedstead at a local auction. Obviously someone took a lot of time hand carving this- but 16thc or 19thc? the backs of the boards were smooth and even thickness- no tear out, not what I would expect from period. The auction house was selling this as part of a early 2othc bedroom suite, though the bed did not match the other pieces. Maybe I walked away from a great find; but it just didn't seem right.273377273378

Jim Koepke
10-20-2013, 6:16 PM
Ran across this Oak linenfold bedstead at a local auction. Obviously someone took a lot of time hand carving this- but 16thc or 19thc? the backs of the boards were smooth and even thickness- no tear out, not what I would expect from period. The auction house was selling this as part of a early 2othc bedroom suite, though the bed did not match the other pieces. Maybe I walked away from a great find; but it just didn't seem right.

Smooth backs would make me think that it may have been late 19th or early 20th century.

If there is more uniformity than irregularities between the panels, they may actually be mass produced by machine and hand work. Each panel being different would be more indicative of hand work using planes.

jtk

Mel Fulks
10-20-2013, 6:45 PM
I agree they are modern. The oak looks like flat sawn red oak. Those linen fold panels always get saved and reused ,so the panels themselves are always worth examining .In this case whole thing seems to be no more than a revival copy.