PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Veneer...where do I learn how?

Dee Dee Martin
06-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Anyone want to recomend a good book for me, to learn how to veneer? I've got a ton of exotic veneers, and I'd like to try my hand at using some of it, rather than just reselling it.

I really don't even know where to start....nor what tools I'll need.

Jim Tobias
06-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Go to vacupress.com and look at the 2 dvds they offer. I started some veneering about a year ago and it really opens up a whole different area of woodworking. I had never done it before, but the dvds really are excellent. I had also bought one of their vacuum press systems and it really makes it easy. But I am certain a lot of other vacuum presses would work as well.

Steve Roxberg
06-03-2005, 12:02 AM
Go to www.joewoodworker.com for free information on veneering and on building your own vacuum pump system.

A great site.

Chuck Nickerson
06-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Lots of good info there. If you resell, do you do retail? I'm trying to build my veneer supply for next year's projects.

Jamie Buxton
06-03-2005, 12:31 AM
A good book is The Veneering Book. David Shath Square. Taunton Press 1995.

Dennis Peacock
06-03-2005, 12:41 AM
Dee Dee,

They all have you on the right track. Vacu-Press has good info and DVD's and joewoodworker is another excellect resource for veneering. Don't forget to build Joe's homemade vac-press. It works good!!! :D

Zahid Naqvi
06-03-2005, 9:49 AM
Another vote for the Joe woodworker site. It has a lot of basic information. I recently veneered a table top 16"x40" without a vacuum bag/press, smaller objects would be even easier. Vacu-press will cretainly make it easier but it can be done without it. Start with small projects, boxes etc. and gradually move to bigger ones. Vacu-press will do things much quicker and there is no other option if your project is not flat.

Steve Rowe
06-03-2005, 7:08 PM
Another vote for JoeWoodworker and VacuPress. I have the Working in a Vacuum DVD and it is excellent. Both companies are excellent to deal with. If you are in the market for a vacuum pump checkout http://www.surpluscenter.com as they have a Gast pump for $90. Only downside to this tiny 1/4 hp pump is that it is 230V.

Steve