PDA

View Full Version : Scrap Pile Wall

Kevin Post
10-19-2013, 6:26 PM
I've been saving all my scrap and junk wood for this project. The basement bar project continued to progress this weekend with the completion of this wall covered with saved scraps of wood. I had envisioned doing a stacked stone or tile wall behind the sink. After wrestling with the limits this would place on hanging things, I hatched this odd idea. I think it turned out pretty well.

Most of the wood was 3/4". I ripped all the scrap to widths ranging from 1/2" to 1 1/8" then cut it to random lengths. I snapped chalk lines every few inches to keep me on track and glued the pieces to the drywall with construction adhesive. The shelves are 3/4" pieces of cherry with adhesive along the edges. They get additional support from the surrounding wood pieces and by shoving them into the corner. Originally, I was going to use 1/4" glass shelves but did this to save $$$ and the time required to futz with glass.

Staying true to my frugal side, the finish is an old can of poly with some BLO added. I thinned it heavily with mineral spirits so it would soak into the wood.. My desire was to let the finish darken and protect the wood but I wanted little or no sheen (like stone).

I still have to tweak around the outlet covers and put additional coats of finish on the shelves but you can see how things turned out from the photos.

Matt Meiser
10-19-2013, 6:28 PM
You don't do the dusting in your house, eh? :D

Seriously, that is a really cool wall.

Cody Armstrong
10-19-2013, 6:29 PM
Very interesting. I like it. Never seen that before. :)

Larry Frank
10-19-2013, 7:22 PM
I love it..........

Aaron Berk
10-19-2013, 10:55 PM
WOW!

Yeah I think this would be really awesome to do.
I'd like to have a half bath done with this on just the sink wall.

Awesome job Kevin!

Darrin Vanden Bosch
10-20-2013, 8:19 AM
That is friggin ingenious

Jerry Balzell
10-20-2013, 8:21 AM
Great idea. I like it, well done.

Phil Thien
10-20-2013, 9:47 AM
That really looks fantastic, excellent work!

Bruce Page
10-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Wow! That's a lot of rip cuts!
I love it, but being in New Mexico my first thought was; I wouldn't want to dust it!

Kevin Post
10-20-2013, 3:39 PM
I wouldn't want to dust it!

There isn't much dust in our house but it isn't something I really considered. I suppose it's no different than the stone on our fireplace. Being this wall is in the man cave, I suppose it would be OK to use a leaf blower. :-)

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

Jim Matthews
10-21-2013, 7:50 AM
I look at this, and see a Guillermo del Toro movie set.

Do any of the sections move in and out?
Can you hang shelves, where you like?

Clever, that.

glenn bradley
10-21-2013, 8:44 AM
Take that, stacking stone ;-) Cool idea.

Mark Patoka
10-21-2013, 9:13 AM
I like it. Got enough scrap I could probably start my own wall. I guess the only negative is the fire rating?

Jim Becker
10-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Wow...that is super kewel! Nice!!!!

Joe A Faulkner
10-21-2013, 10:51 PM
... I still have to tweak around the outlet covers and put additional coats of finish on the shelves but you can see how things turned out from the photos.

You might consider laminating up some scraps and make your own matching outlet covers. Of course you may never be able to find the outlets if you do. Very creative and interesting look.

jeffrey bailey
10-23-2013, 3:59 PM
Air compressor will take care of the dusting. :D

Tim Janssen
10-23-2013, 8:39 PM
I really like that. Very clever.

Tim