PDA

View Full Version : Three new Veritas products from WIA

Hilton Ralphs
10-19-2013, 4:11 PM
Veritas has announced three new products.

1. Veritas Miniature Spokeshave

2. Veritas Shooting Sander

3. Veritas Mortising Chisels

Malcolm Schweizer
10-19-2013, 5:06 PM
I see the miniature spokeshave on their site, but not the sander or the chisels. Are they online yet?

Gary Muto
10-19-2013, 5:10 PM
Hilton,
Thanks for posting. There hasn't been much information on-line, actually you have posted teh most I have seen. So I take it that you made the Trek?

Gary Muto
10-19-2013, 5:12 PM
I only saw the spokeshave as well.
Looks pretty cool so I tossed one in my cart.

Hilton Ralphs
10-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Sadly I'm only 8500 miles and 21 flying hours away so didn't make it. I think the chisels are prototypes so they won't be on the website until they are in production. The sanding shooter looks interesting and the new mini spokeshave has been added to the mini set which looks like a good buy if yo can make use of the small buggers.

I just follow twitter and thought I would update those who don't.

Derek Cohen
10-20-2013, 7:45 AM
I have the sanding shooter and spokeshave in my shop. The shooter fits the same track as the shooting plane, and becomes a very useful tool for those jointing veneer (sandwiched between layers of MDF for rigidity). The miniature spokeshave works like a real spokeshave!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hilton Ralphs
10-20-2013, 8:01 AM
I have the sanding shooter and spokeshave in my shop.

Why am I not surprised. :)

So what's holding up the reviews Derek? ;)

Derek Cohen
10-20-2013, 8:17 AM
Reviews? Isn't what I wrote above enough? :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rob Lee
10-20-2013, 8:37 AM
Hmmm...

I actually counted 10 new products...

Add:

- Norris adjuster wood plane kit
- honing guide side clamp prototype
- 3d knit tool roll
- rip and crosscut tenon saw
- Systainer based drilling kit
- flex neck Cree LED magnetic lamp (our design, but not Veritas)
-more PM-V11 blades

Gotta save some releases for other shows.....

Cheers,

Rob
(Heading for the airport....)

Hilton Ralphs
10-20-2013, 8:37 AM
Whatever you do Derek, please remember to test if the sanding shooter actually abrades at a perfect 90 degrees. We don't want another snot en trane episode like what happened when you published the shooting plane review.

Hilton Ralphs
10-20-2013, 8:40 AM

I could have sworn you said in an earlier post
I'm never mentioning that saw again, until it's on the shelf!.

Prepare to be bugged :-)

Chris Griggs
10-20-2013, 9:17 AM
I like the sound of the wood plane kit. It could very well replace my beloved transitional jacks.

James Conrad
10-20-2013, 9:35 AM
Pictures of the saws, please!

Kurt Cady
10-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Did you just say tenon saw?!?

Ed Looney
10-20-2013, 10:36 AM
The new saws look like a larger version of the small rip and crosscut. They use the same material for the back.

Rob Lee
10-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Did you just say tenon saw?!?

Yup...they're on a shelf somewhere....

November release, I believe. We'll have a good intro price to compensate for the wait...

Cheers,

Rob

James Conrad
10-20-2013, 11:18 AM
The new saws look like a larger version of the small rip and crosscut. They use the same material for the back.

Too bad, not a fan of that design.

Gary Muto
10-20-2013, 1:19 PM
Hmmm...

Add:

- 3d knit tool roll
-more PM-V11 blades

Cheers,

Rob

Some news from "The Man". :cool:
Thanks for the info Rob! I'm looking forward to the future releases as well.
Safe Travels...

The honing guide side clamp sounds interesing. Although I must admit that I don't have problems with the existing guide. I use a fairly light touch. it takes longer but I get great results.

Bob Jones
10-20-2013, 1:54 PM
I really like my mk II honing guide. It would be nicely complimented with something that is less cumbersome for more narrow chisels. I hope the new guide fits that description.

Erwin Graween
10-21-2013, 6:03 AM
Hi,

I'm really interested in the mortice chisels. I was hopping they would come out at one moment.

But as with the chisels, I'm begging for a metric version .... Please rob release them both in metrics ! :o

Regards,
Graween.

Hilton Ralphs
10-21-2013, 6:15 AM
But as with the chisels, I'm begging for a metric version .... Please rob release them both in metrics ! :o

You will only need metric mortise chisels if you have invested in a metric mortising gauge. Other than that, neither the tenon nor the mortise will know the difference.

Erwin Graween
10-21-2013, 8:30 AM
Hi Hilton,

In fact yes any marking gauge can work with both measurement systems for mortices and for many othe things, because you set them to the size of the tool, and/or to ratios.
To be honest I have both the veritas dual marking gauge and the regular one without any measurement on them, and never found any problem using them, though as living in France I work only in metrics.

The problem arises when as everything is in metrics, you most likely want to match this system.

For example if you make a groove with a metric blade for a door rail, you want the right metric size for the mortice chisel.
Mortice chisels in metrics are more important then chisels I agree.
Also the 1/3 dividing rule is applied to metrics sized board or rails, like 18 mm width would need a 6mm, which could be approximated by a 6.35 mm = 1/4".

But it's interesting to have metric chisels as well, for example if you want to make a groove across the width of a board (i.e. for a book cabinet) you'll end up fitting a metric sized board, so better to have a mm chisel to match the groove width and chop, before cleaning with router plane.
By th way probably the resaon why LV makes metrics sized blades for router planes ! Groove cleanup is just right (bought some).

Even if I work a lot by hand, all designs and all are done metrics. So having kind of uniformity within your tools is fine.
But sure you can go by imperial, but metrics when you live in a metric world, makes things easier :cool:, less approximation and potential errors. So less chances you bump your head on the wall because you mismatched things !

Anyway, a lot of nice tools coming by. Christmas will be a hard time to make choices within all theses new toys.
:D
I'm awaiting the MK II guide gizmos for small chisels as well !

Regards,
Graween.

Chris Hachet
10-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Hmmm...

Add:

- 3d knit tool roll
-more PM-V11 blades

Cheers,

Rob
Got to love the PM-V11. I just bought one of your spoke shaves and have used it extensively. The steel does indeed seem MUCH better than A2, and polishes up to a really nice edge.

Zach Dillinger
10-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Yup...they're on a shelf somewhere....

November release, I believe. We'll have a good intro price to compensate for the wait...

Cheers,

Rob

I do believe I might have to buy one of those... :)

Chris Griggs
10-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Hi Rob,

I can't find any pics of the Norris wood plane kit on the LV facebook page. Do you (or anyone else) have any shots of it (and or specs) from the conference (or elsewhere)?

Chris Griggs
10-21-2013, 10:21 AM
I do believe I might have to buy one of those... :)

Despite that fact that I have committed to myself that I would make all my future backsaws myself, I must confess I'll be tempted by them too, if for no other reason than they appear to modeled after the Disston no. 9, which is just a cool seeming saw.

Jim Koepke
10-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Erwin,

I think I am going to save your post and wrap it in gold foil for the next time the metric vs inch discussion pops up.

Interesting you mention:

if you want to make a groove across the width of a board (i.e. for a book cabinet) you'll end up fitting a metric sized board, so better to have a mm chisel to match the groove width and chop"

This summer while our grandchildren were visiting our oldest grandson was spending time in the shop woodworking with me. We made book shelves (cabinet) using stopped dados (grooves most of the width of a board). We used several methods. This was mostly for his benefit of learning different ways of doing something. The fastest method was to saw the edges of the dado then clear the waste with a chisel. For clearing the waste my a chisel slightly smaller than the full width worked great without and chipping on the edges of the dado that can happen with a full width chisel. Here our soft woods are sold as 1X that actually measure 3/4". My 18mm chisel is marked 3/4" but anyone who has ever worked with metric/inch conversions knows 3/4" is closer to 19mm.

jtk

Rob Lee
10-21-2013, 4:18 PM
Hi,

I'm really interested in the mortice chisels. I was hopping they would come out at one moment.

Regards,
Graween.

Hi Erwin!

We're listening!

Cheers -

Rob

Brian Kerley
10-21-2013, 5:12 PM
Hmmm...

Add:

- 3d knit tool roll
-more PM-V11 blades

Cheers,

Rob

You missed the Hinge Mortice Plane, Rob

Gary Herrmann
10-21-2013, 8:32 PM
A pox on you Rob Lee! A pox I say!

Haven't you tortured me enough with these minis? Why do you keep making me buy these things?

Maybe I can tell myself that I can use the spoke shave to sloooowly sharpen a pencil. Uhuh. Yeah.

Note: Sarcasm implied, if not implicitly stated.

Tony Wilkins
10-21-2013, 9:20 PM
Hey Rob, can I have all the weights of the tools listed in Stone please.

Erwin Graween
10-22-2013, 5:15 AM
Hi Erwin!

We're listening!

Cheers -

Rob

Hi Rob,

It's really fantastic that you go through all these places to listen to your customers ! I'm impressed :)
Your company really brings things to such highest levels !

Thank you.

Cheers.
Erwin.

Hilton Ralphs
10-22-2013, 8:03 AM
Hi Hilton,
In fact yes any marking gauge can work with both measurement systems for mortices and for many othe things, because you set them to the size of the tool, and/or to ratios.
To be honest I have both the veritas dual marking gauge and the regular one without any measurement on them, and never found any problem using them, though as living in France I work only in metrics.

Hi Erwin. I think my sense of humour is not always fully understood. Good news though is that Rob is listening to those of us who use all our fingers to count.

Erwin Graween
10-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Hi Erwin. I think my sense of humour is not always fully understood. Good news though is that Rob is listening to those of us who use all our fingers to count.

:D Arghhh LOL. In fact it's a very good one, I got trapped on this one as when I read your reply I was in a 'serious mode', not thinking about that.
Excellent.

But you know and I'm serious LV is making metric graduated gauges : http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=59455&cat=1,42936,59455 . But I own an ungraduated one, wonder why :rolleyes:

Yes good to know he listens.

Regards.

PS : Now Hilton I can see that both you and I live too far to attend all these nice expos, even if distances are counted in miles or kilometers :(. The second sad part is that as I stated several times, it make it hard for us to try tools before buying.

John Sanford
10-23-2013, 1:39 PM
Hey Rob, can I have all the weights of the tools listed in Stone please.

I fear most of them would be in Pebbles then, except for the big planes.

John Sanford
10-23-2013, 1:41 PM
Very glad to see the Mortise chisels. They look like pigstickers with a different handle. It would be great to hear the design thinking on those, and whether they perform as well as the Ray Iles English Mortise Chisels, which I check daily to see if TWW ever gets the most useful sizes back in stock...

Also, some sense of when they'll be hitting the market.

Rob Lee
10-23-2013, 1:54 PM
Very glad to see the Mortise chisels. They look like pigstickers with a different handle. It would be great to hear the design thinking on those, and whether they perform as well as the Ray Iles English Mortise Chisels, which I check daily to see if TWW ever gets the most useful sizes back in stock...

Also, some sense of when they'll be hitting the market.

Hi -

Those were prototypes - they won't be on the market until for at least six months....

Cheers -

Rob

paul cottingham
10-23-2013, 3:02 PM
Hi -

Those were prototypes - they won't be on the market until for at least six months....

Cheers -

Rob
Ahhh!!!
You torment us!
I mean, uh, that's great!

Rob Lee
10-23-2013, 3:11 PM
Ahhh!!!
You torment us!
I mean, uh, that's great!

Paul -

It's OK.... we'll keep you distracted with other product between now and then..... :)

Cheers -

Rob

paul cottingham
10-23-2013, 3:23 PM
Paul -

It's OK.... we'll keep you distracted with other product between now and then..... :)

Cheers -

Rob
Cool. My wife may not be happy about that, but I am!

Stew Hagerty
10-23-2013, 4:21 PM
Hmmm...

Add:

- 3d knit tool roll
-more PM-V11 blades

Cheers,

Rob

Hey Rob... How about posting some photos of the new stuff & prototypes for those of us not lucky enough to be able to attend this year?

Stew Hagerty
10-23-2013, 4:26 PM
I fear most of them would be in Pebbles then, except for the big planes.

And the really light weight stuff is in Sand.

Rob Lee
10-24-2013, 8:55 AM
Hey Rob... How about posting some photos of the new stuff & prototypes for those of us not lucky enough to be able to attend this year?

Hi Stew -

I'll see what I can track down.... they may still be with the booth....

Cheers -

Rob

Howard Pollack
10-24-2013, 10:15 AM
Hi Rob-
I'm quite interested in the Norris adjuster wood plane kit. I've thought of building one myself, being fond of both Japanese and European wooden planes but not a big fan of hammer adjustment. I'd like to get my hands on one to play with. Any guess as to time of release.
Best regards,
Howard

Kurt Cady
10-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Hi Stew -

I'll see what I can track down.... they may still be with the booth....

Cheers -

Rob

Hey, Rob - How long is the tenon saw overall? I'd like to fit it into my 90% completed Dutch Tool Chest.

Rob Lee
10-24-2013, 2:15 PM
Hey, Rob - How long is the tenon saw overall? I'd like to fit it into my 90% completed Dutch Tool Chest.

Hi Kurt -

Overall length is 20.21" ....

.... a little less if the paper used to finish the handle is "fresh" ... :)

Cheers -

Rob

Kurt Cady
10-24-2013, 7:14 PM
Hi Kurt -

Overall length is 20.21" ....

.... a little less if the paper used to finish the handle is "fresh" ... :)

Cheers -

Rob
Good to know. Hopefully I get a fresh paper one :) it'll juuuuuuust fit. :)

Jon Baxter
10-30-2013, 6:34 PM
Hinge mortise plane and 3/4" blade are available now! New plumb bob is up too, along with Veritas iso paper and the magnetic mount LED light put up earlier this week.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=71265&cat=51&ap=1 (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=71265&cat=51&ap=1)