PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Delta DJ 20 jointer

Joe McMahon
10-19-2013, 3:56 PM
I have a lightly used DJ 20 that I bought new about ten years ago. It has had very light use. When I bought it, I also ordered a shelix head which I installed along with new bearings. Things were fine until about six months ago.

When the jointer started, for the first few revolutions it sounded like something was hitting something metal. After the first few revolutions, the noise stopped and everything sounded and worked normal normal. Since I use it so little, I forgot about the noise.

Today I had a lot of stock to dimension. When I started the jointer there was a loud noise of something hitting. This time it stayed. The head still revolved but when turned off, stopped pretty quickly. I took the panel off the back and the motor and drive belt seem OK. As I pull the belt I hear what may be a rumbling noise but nothing striking and certainly not metal on metal. I looked at the head and do not see any obvious place where it is striking something. I lowered the tables away from the head but it didn't help.

Can anyone give me some idea of what is wrong? I can't find the paperwork that came with it and am just stumped. I installed the head so long ago, I can't remember how everything went together.

Dave Zellers
10-19-2013, 4:19 PM
Bearings gone bad?

Rick Potter
10-19-2013, 4:41 PM
Is the belt loose?

Rick Potter

Ronald Blue
10-19-2013, 5:19 PM
I would suggest you remove the belt if you haven't already and turn the motor on and off to check to make sure it's smooth and quiet. I think it sounds like your going to find a problem with one of the bearings on the head. The fact that it stops quickly and the noise doesn't subside is more typical of a failed or failing bearing. Good luck and keep us posted. Grease does dry out with time and lack of use may contribute to the problem as the grease separates and loses it's ability to lubricate. If the bearings are where you can get to them a small hole could be drilled and grease injected in but it might be to little to late. Good luck and keep us posted.

Phil Thien
10-19-2013, 5:31 PM
Maybe a pulley shifted on a shaft and is rubbing somewhere?

Joe McMahon
10-19-2013, 6:50 PM
I took the belt off. Both pulleys are tight. I didn't start the motor so I don't know if it will be quiet. It could be the bearings but the sound is like metal hitting metal

CPeter James
10-19-2013, 9:26 PM
Is the motor pulley tight up against the motor? I have seen three of these that had the motor mount installed backwards and it is almost but not quite symmetrical. If it is installed backwards, the motor pulley has to be pulled away from the motor to line up with the cutter head pulley.This will allow the motor pulley to become sloppy on the motor shaft and make a metallic noise. Also, sometimes the belt will slap against the top of the lower cabinet where it comes up through. This happens most often when starting up. the start torque puts tension on one side of the belt and leaves slack on the other allowing it to slap against the cabinet.

Myk Rian
10-19-2013, 9:34 PM
I didn't start the motor
Well, do that.

Matt Day
10-19-2013, 9:47 PM
And while you're at it, spin the cutter head by hand to see if it makes noise.
This is simple process of elimination.

Joe McMahon
10-19-2013, 11:26 PM
That is something that I will check out. The noise has been "metallic" but I will still check the belt and pulley alignment.

Thanks

Brad Cambell
10-20-2013, 10:12 AM
There isn't many things that can go wrong with the jointer so it should be a pretty easy to diagnose the source of the trouble. Like others have said, disconnect the belt and turn the cutter. If there is any resistance or rubbing then look closer. If nothing, then look at the motor, pulley. Look at the cabinet, is there any paint rubbed off?

My money is that the cutter was installed improperly.

Dave Kirby
10-20-2013, 10:26 AM
there isn't many things that can go wrong with the jointer so it should be a pretty easy to diagnose the source of the trouble. Like others have said, disconnect the belt and turn the cutter. If there is any resistance or rubbing then look closer. If nothing, then look at the motor, pulley. Look at the cabinet, is there any paint rubbed off?

My money is that the cutter was installed improperly.

^^^this.^^^

Jeff Duncan
10-20-2013, 2:42 PM
Before you start the motor turn everything by hand, it should be pretty easy to narrow down where the noise is coming from before you apply power and possibly make things worse. We can sit here and guess what it could be, but your the one with the machine at hand;) Go through the power train which is short.....motor, pulley, belt, pulley, head, and see where the noise is being generated. Once you find that....check back.

good luck,
JeffD

Joe McMahon
10-20-2013, 7:00 PM
I have turned everything by hand (except the fan) and found nada. I didn't run the motor without load as I had already left. The machine is in my shop in Wisconsin. I became so disgusted yesterday, that I left for home and won't be back to the shop till next weekend. I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and could help so that I could return there with any needed parts. My shop is in a very remote location (no internet) so I have to go to town to get on the net, and any parts I need have to go up with me

joe maday
10-20-2013, 8:22 PM
Well at least the Pack won!

David Kumm
10-20-2013, 8:48 PM
Keep in mind that bearings can sound fine when turned by hand and still be bad. I had a planer with a similar problem and the bearing cage was broken inside the sealed unit. Would allow the head to wobble a little when running. Don't know if that is your problem. Seems like I recall some posts on the DJ 20 that said some parts came installed wrong from the factory. Don't know if that is relevant. Dave

Joe McMahon
10-20-2013, 9:23 PM
Dave, I ordered new link belt and new bearings. If I take the head out (which I will), why not replace them and eliminate one possible problem?

David Kumm
10-20-2013, 9:35 PM
Dave, I ordered new link belt and new bearings. If I take the head out (which I will), why not replace them and eliminate one possible problem?

I would use a VX belt rather than a link belt but you will be fine. Link belts are fractional HP belts. A good ( Optibelt type ) VX power transmission belt is cheaper and better. Dave

CPeter James
10-21-2013, 8:55 AM
You will have a problem with the link belt where it goes up through the top of the bottom cabinet. There is not enough clearance. DAMHIK Get an AX series belt. It will run smoother and quieter. The link belt also will act like a siren and make a screaming noise. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. I get the belts from Mcmaster Carr.

CPeter

Joe McMahon
10-21-2013, 9:29 AM
Peter, by any chance do you have a product number for the belt?

Joe

CPeter James
10-21-2013, 6:22 PM
I'll try to get it for you. I will have to take the guard off to check it.

CPeter

Joe McMahon
10-21-2013, 7:01 PM
Peter, I went online to McMaster Carr and found the belt, along with a better set of bearings. All three are on the way. Thanks for your help!

Joe

Joe McMahon
10-26-2013, 11:45 AM
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!! I got the head out of the machine and couldnt get the blocks off the ends. I took it to a machine shop and after a lot of work, they got them off. The bearing at the pulley end was toast. There was a small piece missing from one of the edges of the pulley. I have the chicken or the egg conundrum: Did the trashed bearing spew out parts that took the chunk out of the pulley, or did the pulley break and end up in the bearing?

Either way, I have new, high quality bearings and a new VX belt. The DJ now sings.

I could not have done it correctly without all of the help received here. Thanks!!

Dave Zellers
10-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Looks like the first responder was right!

Even tho it was just a wild guess...

:D

Jeff Duncan
10-26-2013, 5:30 PM
Glad you got her up and running again. My vote is two unrelated problems. I wouldn't think anything coming out from the bearing would be big enough to damage a pulley. I also don't believe a piece of the pulley could be forced into the bearing. Though strange things do happen! I think the bearings went and the pulley was likely damaged at some other time. In the end though it doesn't matter as long as you can use your machine:D

Jeffd

Jason White
10-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Yep, motor mount is probably on backwards! I flipped mine around and it runs MUCH better.