PDA

View Full Version : Left Hand Stanley 45

Jim Koepke
10-18-2013, 8:44 PM
In another thread the topic of plow planes was discussed with the original poster mentioning that they are left handed.

So today, just for fun one of my #45s was given a test drive left handed.

Some minor points on the left hand set up involve the fence and the depth stop.

If the fence is used in the lowest position it doesn't interfere with the depth stop as long as there is some stock for the depth stop to ride.

With the fence in the higher position the depth stop gets in the way of getting in close. In this case it may be best to raise the standard stop and use an auxiliary stop on the moving skate.

One thing I did notice is using the plane this way the ball on the fence seems to be in the right place for a hand hold.

One technical point... If anyone cares that is a Wards Master #45 pictured. They were made by Stanley but didn't have the Stanley name on them.

jtk

Steve Voigt
10-19-2013, 1:27 PM
Hey Jim, thanks for doing this. I'm not in the market for a 45 right now, but this is great to know in case I come across one cheap.
Your shop is almost as neat and clean as mine! :D

-Steve

Jim Koepke
10-19-2013, 1:33 PM
Steve,

Glad it helps. The world seems to be made for right handed people. Being a bit ambidextrous has helped me though life. Recently watched Mary May on The Woodwright's Shop. She mentioned that if one wants to carve they will want to be able to work both left and right handed.

Your shop is almost as neat and clean as mine! :D

It is definitely an OCD's nightmare. But at least I can find almost everything that is known to be in one of my boxes of junk.

One friend once commented, after I pulled a book he asked about from a stack of books on the floor, "this isn't a mess, it is a complex filing system."

jtk