PDA

View Full Version : Don't Glue Up Without It!

Jim Koepke
10-18-2013, 8:28 PM
Bench grinder at Ye Olde Paint Box $2

Old Stanley Breast Drill $1

Two chisels at the Restore $3.

Being able to spread glue with junk mail... Priceless!

Often my old business cards are used for glue ups. These plastic cards have to be ripped out of the junk mail before they are thrown in the fire place or recycling.

Then it came to me, why not use them to spread glue.

They are even good for catching drips.

After using I just picked up a hand full of shavings and wiped off the glue.

jtk

Please note that I have no relationship with this company and though I have wished they would stop sending me junk mail, now that there is a use for at least part of it I am not as bothered.

Jim Ritter
10-18-2013, 10:01 PM
They make great shims also.
Jim

Bob Coleman
10-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Got a whole pile on my windowsill for just that purpose. I once experimented with pinking shears to make a nice easy way to spread, but the notches came out too small and didn't do much.

Though now most mail I get doesn't honest to goodness thick stiff cards - its more like cardboard/paper of some sort.

glenn bradley
10-18-2013, 10:43 PM
Great tip Jim. I love re-purposing things rather than tossing them. Even if I get only one extra use out of something, that's twice the designed amount :D.

I once experimented with pinking shears to make a nice easy way to spread, but the notches came out too small and didn't do much.

Two words - Paper Punch. Fine and coarse spreads ;-)

John Coloccia
10-18-2013, 10:44 PM
I wonder if AOL disks would work?

jason thigpen
10-19-2013, 8:26 AM

Are they still sending those out???

Harold Burrell
10-19-2013, 11:12 AM

Does AOL still exist???

John Coloccia
10-19-2013, 11:14 AM

Haven't they already sent enough to keep us gluing for many years to come? :)

Mark Dorman
10-19-2013, 2:48 PM
The place I used to work at had a high turnover rate in engineering and they bought business cards by the 1,000 lot. So I have a good supply. As far as the junk mail goes I occasionally use the self addressed envelops they send to mail junk from one company to another company.

Jim Koepke
10-19-2013, 4:58 PM
The place I used to work at had a high turnover rate in engineering and they bought business cards by the 1,000 lot. So I have a good supply. As far as the junk mail goes I occasionally use the self addressed envelops they send to mail junk from one company to another company.

One particularly odious mailer sent me their pitch on a daily basis. Somedays even more than one item was sent. They even had my name wrong. One time I wrapped a brick and attached one of their "postage will be paid by addressee" envelopes. Being that I was in a somewhat rural area they likely figured from whom it came. I didn't get much mail from them after that.

One time when I was mad at someone one of their postcards was sent back with all of their information written in.

My postal worker once told me they call it jobs mail instead of junk mail. Gave me a different perspective on it. Now it mostly goes into the recycle bin after the credit applications are torn to prevent anyone else from using them.

The smell of most junk mail is not pleasant when it burns. We tend to use shavings from the shop to start fires instead of paper when we can.

jtk