PDA

View Full Version : cigarette smoke smell in wood

Rich Riddle
10-18-2013, 6:06 PM
Hello,

I have a Howard Miller wall clock given from a VFW member who didn't use it. The problem is when you open the clock to wind it, the clock reeks of cigarette smoke. You only have to open the door about once a week, but when you do, it's overpowering. I have owned the clock for a year and the smell on the outside of the clock has significantly lessened. Do any of you have any idea on how to get the smell out of the wood? Right now it is "airing out" with the door wide open.

Dave Richards
10-18-2013, 6:24 PM
Put it out in the sun with the door open and let it air out outside.

Kent A Bathurst
10-18-2013, 6:30 PM
Take up smoking.

Problem solved.

johnny means
10-18-2013, 6:53 PM
Febreze, works really well. I've used it in cars that belonged to smokers, and it will, after a couple of applcations, clear the odor. Of course, you probably don't want to just go spraying willy nilly.

Oh, and do not stick your nice clock in the sun:rolleyes:

Dave Richards
10-18-2013, 6:56 PM
The sun won't hurt it for the little time it would take to clear out the smell.:rolleyes:

Rich Riddle
10-18-2013, 7:08 PM
What is the Sun? I live in the Ohio Valley and won't see it for months on end. Thanks for the advice.

ray hampton
10-18-2013, 7:45 PM
You need to MOVE up hill away from the smog /fog

Judson Green
10-18-2013, 8:06 PM
I've heard vinegar works for getting rid of the stink in rooms. Not sure how you'd do that to a clock... maybe a big garbage bag like a tent over the clock and dish/bowl of vinegar. Not sure if the vinegar fumes would react to the wood or finish.

What about stuffing a oder eater in there? Baking soda? Maybe a lump of charcoal.

Lee Schierer
10-18-2013, 8:16 PM
I think that if the inside is unfinished that I would carefully wipe down every area I can get to with mineral spirits or lacquer thinner. It should remove eh dirt and smoke accumulation. If the inside is finished, then clean it with glass cleaner or some Spic and Span or Mr. Clean solution.

Dan Hintz
10-18-2013, 8:17 PM
If you don't like the sun idea, open up as many doors/compartments on the clock as you can and aim a fan at it. Air movement will get rid of as much smoke particulates as possible.

Rich Engelhardt
10-18-2013, 8:19 PM
***Charcoal absorbs odors.
Stick about a half bag in there for a month or so.

An alternative would be to give it a light coat of Zinsser Seal Coat.

Shellac seals in odors.
B*I*N pigmented shellac is the go-to product for fire jobs since it both seals in the soot and seals in the smell.

***Once upon a time, many years ago, we went on vacation for two weeks. My dad told my brother to unplug the washer and dryer.
My brother did that & he unplugged the big chest freezer that was half filled.
When we got home and opened the door, the smell hit you in the face like a fist.
Someone suggested pouring in a couple of bags of charcoal after the freezer had been washed out to get rid of the lingering smell.
Worked like a champ!

Ole Anderson
10-18-2013, 9:33 PM
After an electrical fire in our RV, we wiped down every hard surface with vinegar, including wood cabinets and put a 20 pound bag of charcoal out in 3 tubs. A week later, no more smell.

ray hampton
10-18-2013, 9:51 PM
I've heard vinegar works for getting rid of the stink in rooms. Not sure how you'd do that to a clock... maybe a big garbage bag like a tent over the clock and dish/bowl of vinegar. Not sure if the vinegar fumes would react to the wood or finish.

What about stuffing a oder eater in there? Baking soda? Maybe a lump of charcoal.

you can buy charcoal filters for air cleaners, charcoal in powder form are use in respirators to remove some fumes, vinegar will cover up other odors BUT DO NOT MIX BAKING SODA WITH THE VINEGAR

Dell Littlefield
10-19-2013, 8:27 AM
I bought an antique clock from a store that had been a bacon smoke house. It was several years before the smell went away. That didn't bother me but if it had smelled like cigarettes, it sure would have. A good cleaner/odor remover for furniture is: One part each of white vinegar, boiled linseed oil and turpentine. I used that a lot on old English clocks that had been in homes heated by coal fireplaces.