PDA

View Full Version : Fume Extractor Needed

Bob Kline
10-18-2013, 5:41 PM
Well, it finally happened. My next door neighbor in our Minnesota town home development complained about the smell. It's the first complaint in 8 years but town home rules can be vicious. I need a fumr extractor for my Epilog mini. It's in use only about one hour a day engraving and cutting IPI plastic. Can anyone suggest an affordable unit?
Thanks,
Bob Kline

Dan Hintz
10-18-2013, 8:11 PM
Take a look at my blog (upper righthand corner of my post), Bob... might be just what you need.

Glen Monaghan
10-20-2013, 11:19 AM
I recently completed a home-built unit that uses a whole house (pre)filter, two activated carbon filter layers, and a HEPA filter (all filters are 16"x10"x4"), along with an 8" inline fan (and 8" duct from the 4" exhaust on the laser to the filter unit). With all that restriction, the air flow is "adequate" but not great (won't provide enough suction to flatten any warped substrates). Exhaust is dumped back into the room rather than exhausting outside.

A couple of days ago, I spent 85 minutes cutting acrylic and definitely smelled it in that room, but it wasn't water-your-eyes-and-choke strong and couldn't smell it in the next room over. (In comparison, the last time I cut acrylic without exhausting outside, it was awful and I had to open all the windows and set up fans to try to clear the building out.)