PDA

View Full Version : Re-saw blades

Jim Colombo
10-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Who makes the best re-saw blade for a bandsaw?

Keith Hankins
10-18-2013, 11:03 AM
I would say that's like talking ford .vs. chevy. IMHO, depending on your bandsaw size you have several choices. I've used the timberwolfe blades and liked them. They are economical and cut fast and last a decent amount of time. Only drawback is the face is not perfect, but not a big deal. I now have the Laguna resaw-king. Fantastic blade super nice cut no jagged edges just a wonderful blade, and I've used it a lot and still on the factory sharpening. They aint cheap, but it's worth it. Don't get shocked by the cost on the website. Call and talk to them and mention you are a member here and you will get a big discount! Another blade mentioned on these threads often is the woodslicer. I have no practical experience, but people do like those as well. Anyway those are the ones I know of but like I said, the woodslicer is mentioned a lot, but I have no experience with that one. I'd go with the Laguna but thats me.

John TenEyck
10-18-2013, 11:08 AM
What kind of saw are you talking about? The "best" re-saw blade for a 14" Delta is a lot different than one would be able to use on a 20".

John

Jim Colombo
10-18-2013, 11:17 AM
I have a Rikon 14". I didn't realize the saw brand made a difference. That's why I post on this site. I learn something every day.

Stew Hagerty
10-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Like John said, it depends a bit on your saw. I have a Grizzly G0555X with a riser so I use a 105" Blade. I use Timber Wolf blades and, depending on what I'm resawing, I use either a 3/4" x 2/3VPC, or a 1/2" x 4PC.

Frank Trinkle
10-18-2013, 11:26 AM
+1 on the Resaw King from Laguna. The price is high, but they will make a blade to fit your saw, even if it requires a custom length. You just provide the size and width you want.

You'll be cutting the thinnest veneers you ever imagined with them.

Check out these pages:

http://www.lagunatools.com/accessories/resawking

http://www.lagunatools.info/press/ResawKingReviews/ResawKing_Review_WoodenBoatReviewMag_july2011.pdf

Cheers,

Frank

Keith Hankins
10-18-2013, 12:41 PM
I have a Rikon 14". I didn't realize the saw brand made a difference. That's why I post on this site. I learn something every day.

Brand is not the part that matters, its the size of the BS. Some brands don't have all types of blades in all sizes. So in this case, size matters. (TIC)

Tai Fu
10-18-2013, 12:47 PM
For a 14" bandsaw the best you can have would be a 1/2" 3 TPI blade. I don't think Laguna Resaw King would fit onto a Delta cast iron clone, unless you have one of those welded steel 14" bandsaws (like the Laguna 14" bandsaw).

Erik Loza
10-18-2013, 12:56 PM
For a 14" bandsaw the best you can have would be a 1/2" 3 TPI blade....

I agree with this choice ^^^^

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Sam Murdoch
10-18-2013, 3:56 PM
As you can see from the links in Frank Trinkle's post, #6 - Laguna also makes a 3/4" Resaw King. Properly tensioned it will resaw very nicely and I'm guessing that it will fit the Rikon 14", though I can't argue with those who have good experience with 1/2" blades.

Stew Hagerty
10-18-2013, 4:34 PM
As you can see from the links in Frank Trinkle's post, #6 - Laguna also makes a 3/4" Resaw King. Properly tensioned it will resaw very nicely and I'm guessing that it will fit the Rikon 14", though I can't argue with those who have good experience with 1/2" blades.

Like I said in my previous post, I am able to use a 3/4" blade on my Griz. So the thing to do is to check your manual to see what sizes it will run. Some 14" "clones" will are able to run a 3/4" blade. My feeling is that, for resawing, bigger is better (I'm talking blade width here). So, unless it's is something relatively small, I use my 3/4" - 2/3VPC. But if it a smaller piece (6" high or less, and and shorter than 24"), I do use my 1/2" blade to extend the life of my 3/4" blade.

Keith Hankins
10-18-2013, 5:06 PM
+1 on the Resaw King from Laguna. The price is high, but they will make a blade to fit your saw, even if it requires a custom length. You just provide the size and width you want.

You'll be cutting the thinnest veneers you ever imagined with them.

Check out these pages:

http://www.lagunatools.com/accessories/resawking

http://www.lagunatools.info/press/ResawKingReviews/ResawKing_Review_WoodenBoatReviewMag_july2011.pdf

Cheers,

Frank

You are so right on the vaneers. I was shocked at how well it cut. Again, if he goes that route I hope he calls and speaks to someone and tells them he is a member here. I got a heck of a discount. I'm planning on adding the laguna fence next year.

Jeff Duncan
10-18-2013, 7:03 PM
I'm in the camp of keeping your blades sized for what your bandsaw can handle, for most 14" saws 3/4" is too much blade. It's too thick for the small diameter wheels and too hard for smaller saws to tension properly without undo stress on the frame and springs. I know there's always going to be those who insist on using them and saying they're fine, so this is just my personal opinion based on a lot of reading up over the years. Plus in my experience there's very little difference between a 1/2" blade and a 3/4" blade for re-sawing as long as your saw is properly tuned. I've done plenty of re-sawing on my 20" saw with 3/8" and 1/2" blades, the "wider is better" thing is just a bit overstated.

I've used Woodslicers and RSK's and they both work well. The Woodslicer cuts like butter.....for a short while anyway. If your using them on hardwoods the life is pretty short IMHO. After going through several I switched to a 3/4" RSK and it does cut very nicely. It's still 2-3 teeth per inch though so not incredibly fast cutting. Which is where the problem with picking a "best" blade lies.....do you want faster cuts that are a bit rougher? Or do you want slower cuts that are really clean? Just like table saw blades, there's no single blade that's going to do everything well;)

good luck,
Jeffd

Carroll Courtney
10-18-2013, 8:49 PM
The only 14" BS that can handle that small is the older PM's140,141 due to the frame being one piece to apply enought tension on the blade.The two piece BS just can't handle a blade with a wide kerf plus more hp will be needed.The Rikon BS may have 1/2hp(1/3hp) unless you have upgraded.And of the purpose of resawing the blade neededs to be thicker for beam strength which the 14" wheels are to small for that(stress or fatigue on the blade),just to much trouble IMO.Get you the timberwolf 1/2 like the other posters suggested and you will be happy with what you have on hand.Good luck----Carroll

Stew Hagerty
10-18-2013, 9:35 PM
The only 14" BS that can handle that small is the older PM's140,141 due to the frame being one piece to apply enought tension on the blade.The two piece BS just can't handle a blade with a wide kerf plus more hp will be needed.The Rikon BS may have 1/2hp(1/3hp) unless you have upgraded.And of the purpose of resawing the blade neededs to be thicker for beam strength which the 14" wheels are to small for that(stress or fatigue on the blade),just to much trouble IMO.Get you the timberwolf 1/2 like the other posters suggested and you will be happy with what you have on hand.Good luck----Carroll

The Timberwolf 3/4" blade that I use has the same thickness as my 1/2" blade. In fact it's the same as every other blade I get from them: .025

Also, as I said, bandsaws are not all the same. I happen to have the "X" version of the G0555, so it has a 1 1/2hp motor and cast iron wheels. My saw is built to be able to run a 3/4" blade.

Dan Valleskey
10-20-2013, 11:10 AM
I let a Carter salesman talk me into his re-saw blade, and I have been very happy. Not all that expensive, and it appears I am getting a very good life from it. It cuts dead straight, as straight as any band saw blade I've tried. I would like it better if it left a smoother surface, but it seems to be like all the others I've had in that regard. I tried Timberwolf, I recall it was pricey, and did not last all that well, but there may have been an errant nail involved. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon8.png

BTW- size matters- I run 105 inches, 1/2 inch blade, on a 14 Great White Delta.

Who makes the best re-saw blade for a bandsaw?

Myk Rian
10-20-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm in the camp of keeping your blades sized for what your bandsaw can handle, for most 14" saws 3/4" is too much blade.
^^^^THIS^^^^
1/2" 3-4 tpi.

Curt Harms
10-21-2013, 9:16 AM
Here's a 'nonstandard' choice. I have some blades from this company but not this particular variety. The blades I have perform as expected and seem to last pretty well.

http://supercutbandsaw.com/hawcpro.html

or

http://supercutbandsaw.com/woodsaver.html

The claim of 'carbide' is I think sorta bogus. Blades like the Trimaster and Laguna blades have carbide teeth somewhat like table saw blades. I'm pretty sure the supercut blades do not, instead claiming to have carbide particles in the steel. I have premium gold blades that make the same 'carbide' claim, there are no braised cabide bits on the tips. Still, the premium gold blades seem to wear well and don't drift.