PDA

View Full Version : looking for wood filler

anthony wall
10-18-2013, 10:26 AM
long time since i have posted but maybe someone can help ,i am looking for ways to make a wood filler that will look something like the original timber(mahogany) it is not for furniture but for a thai style wooden house that i am building from reclaimed timbers so maybe not a perfect match would suffice my big problem is that the only wood glue that i can get over here is elmers cream colour carpenters glue and it is not waterproof so i could not use it external, by the way i have plenty of mahogany sawdust and fine shaveings to use but need suggestions for a waterproof medium to hold it together thanks in advance for any assistance that you may offer:confused:

Stew Hagerty
10-18-2013, 11:37 AM
OK, do you need advise on glue or on wood filler?

For a filler, I use Behlen "Wood-Fil". It comes in a wide variety of colors. I order it from T4WW (Tools for Working Wood) in Brooklyn.

As for glues, have you tried mail-order?

Victor Robinson
10-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Not sure if it's available in your neck of the woods, but Timbermate would be my recommended wood filler.

Brian Peters
10-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Best wood filler IMO is famowood, for paint grade, bondo. Best glue is titebond.

Gordon Eyre
10-18-2013, 1:05 PM
Mix some sawdust with Titebond III. If you are staining the mahogany, mix a little of that into it.

Stan Calow
10-18-2013, 3:09 PM
Anthony, I've had success with packing stained sawdust into gaps and then soaking it with cyanoacrylate glue until even with the surface.

Mort Stevens
10-18-2013, 4:25 PM
carpenters glue and it is not waterproof so i could not use it external

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has had success with any of the pre-made or home-made concoctions in an outdoor environment.

In my experience the wood swells/shrinks and the filler doesn't and eventually gets pushed out.

I've tried everything from plastic wood to bondo to epoxy & sanding dust with limited success... and I'm talking about filling nail holes in exterior painted trim not big wide gaps or cracks. I've had some success with a Minwax pre-colored oil based putty, but even that will show cracking around the perimeter after a short period of time.

Jim Matthews
10-18-2013, 4:57 PM
I use Durham's "Rock Hard" water putty, colored with sawdust from the same surface, mixed with yellow glue.

It needs to be mixed to a consistency similar to warm peanut butter;
too "wet" and just stains the surface, too "dry" and it won't fill the pores.

richard poitras
10-18-2013, 8:22 PM
wood saw dust and hyde glue..

Mike Cutler
10-19-2013, 6:49 AM
Mohawk Finishes Epoxy sticks. They come in dozens of hues and colors.