PDA

View Full Version : Sample box for demo

Thom Sturgill
10-18-2013, 9:20 AM
At our recent club meeting we viewed a video on box turning and this weekend I have been tapped to do a demo at the president's shop (We rarely set up a lathe at the meeting). I turned this as a practice piece and *may* demo making it. Sorry about the fuzzy picture, but I need a new camera.:D

Black walnut and wormy, curly maple (some of that I got from my luthier brother). Finish is just a coat of walnut oil Beall buffed. Bottom square is 6" and top 4"

C & C welcome as always.

Peter Blair
10-18-2013, 9:36 AM
Love it and if you weren't so far away I would be certain to attend your demo.

David C. Roseman
10-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Neat design, Thom!

David

Thom Sturgill
10-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Demo went well, though I had some issues. I used curly maple for the base and walnut for the lid and the maple split out slightly. Glueing a piece on each edge that can be removed when done will stop that. I am in the process of making another as the demo piece was damaged on the chuck when I went to reverse it. This one is about 1/8" thin and is sanded, ready for the top.

Next project - a pogoda jewelry box!! All pieces pointing up, alternating contrasting woods, each slightly smaller than the one under it. Maybe four layers. Finial on the top revealing the smallest box sized for a ring. Should be fun, but since my lathe time is limited by health concerns and I will not be able to turn for at least a couple of weeks after surgery, I doubt I'll have it finished before New Years:(

Bill White
10-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Great work Thom.
Got any suggestions about links to vids about square/winged turning?
I have not tried it yet, but sure would like to.
Bill

Doug Herzberg
10-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Like the box, Thom. Can't wait to see the pagoda. I've been meaning to try a pagoda hummingbird feeder for our Japanese garden, but I was thinking of one piece. Layers never occurred to me, but it sounds like a great idea.

Thom Sturgill
10-20-2013, 1:53 PM
Bill I saw a demo at a symposium - can't remember where or who. Jimmy Clewes has a two winged oriental box on one of his videos, and i saw him demo it. I think maybe Rudy Lopez made one at the Florida symposium... but I don't remember seeing anything linkable. Best warning - use a Robust tool rest and keep your hands behind it!!

Doug - that sounds like a great idea. Doing layers allows for errors to be remade without loss of the entire unit.

Peter Blair
10-20-2013, 4:19 PM
Hey Bill. I just did a quick google of "turn a square bowl" and got lots of hits.

robert baccus
10-20-2013, 5:09 PM
A piece of red tape on each corner and the tool rest helps my memory and fingers.