PDA

View Full Version : This for That

william watts
10-17-2013, 4:22 PM
A gentlemen from a nearby convalescent home rolled by in his electric wheel chair while I was working in my garage shop. He stopped to chat, and said he wanted to trade some " carving chisels" for a flag case. I told him I would make the flag case without any charge or trade, but he insisted on trading. This is the case273170 and these are the turning chisels he traded.273171 I do have a lathe that gets used very little, but recently I decided to build a night stand with turned legs, so these tools arrived just in time.

He has a woodworking career history, he has done picture framing, and worked as lumber grader at a sawmill in northen Cal. He also has done woodcarving and wants to get back into it and ask if I would sharpen some chisels for him. I told him I would be happy to do that, but then further talk reveled he has Parkinson's. Now I think I shouldn't do the sharpening because woodworking and Parkinson's do not seem to be a good combination. What says the forum?

Roy Harding
10-17-2013, 5:01 PM
I think if he wants to get back into woodcarving, then he should get back into woodcarving.

I would understand your concern if he wanted to use your power tools - but he just wants to do a little whittling - what's the problem with that?

My wife works in an "Old Folks Home" - and in my opinion, she (and the other nurses and staff) are far too quick to decide what is "appropriate" and what isn't for their "residents". When I am 84 and they can somehow get me into one of these places - when I want to go for a beer with the "boys", I'm going for a beer with the boys - and a bunch of youngsters aren't going to stop me!

Jason Roehl
10-17-2013, 5:19 PM
Amen, Roy! If a man wants to hoist a glass, let him hoist!

Mac Cambra
10-17-2013, 5:29 PM
There may be some therapeutic value in the man doing some wood carving. Who knows when one is deep in concetration maybe some of the tremors from his Parkinsons are lessened?

Bill Space
10-17-2013, 5:56 PM
My initial thought was "Parkinsons is not Alzheimer's..."

The man's mind will be sharp. He will be able to determine when using his tools is not a good idea.

I say help him out and feel good about it.

PS... The links to the pictures do not work for me for some reason...

Ellen Benkin
10-17-2013, 6:00 PM
Let him enjoy but also suggest that he use some gloves to protect his hands. Aren't there special gloves that would work for him?

HANK METZ
10-17-2013, 6:18 PM
I think if he wants to get back into woodcarving, then he should get back into woodcarving.

My wife works in an "Old Folks Home" - and in my opinion, she (and the other nurses and staff) are far too quick to decide what is "appropriate" and what isn't for their "residents". When I am 84 and they can somehow get me into one of these places - when I want to go for a beer with the "boys", I'm going for a beer with the boys - and a bunch of youngsters aren't going to stop me!

You just nailed the number one reason why us "old folks" will fight to the death to be left alone and live out our lives as we see fit. Too often the opinion of staff and management as to what is best for the inmate (patient) is secondary to what's easiest for staff.

Frederick Skelly
10-17-2013, 6:26 PM
Right on! Roy!!!!!!

eugene thomas
10-17-2013, 6:34 PM
I would sharpen them.

Ed Aumiller
10-17-2013, 7:20 PM
After retirement one of my bosses hands shook so bad it took two hands to drink a cup of coffee...
But when he sat down in front of a scroll saw he could cut the finest details...

I think it would be correct to sharpen them for him and even help him in any other way you can to encourage him to get back into it...

My inlaws work in nursing homes, SIL runs one, just because they are elderly does not mean they cannot do things they enjoy...

Do it....

Myk Rian
10-17-2013, 7:34 PM
I'm a member of our local senior center of 1300+ members, and run the weight room.
Right now, we are rehearsing for our annual stage production. (100 cast and crew) I am production manager, and lighting tech.
We have dance classes, exercise classes, art, gem and minerals, wood carvers, etc.
Oh, did I type wood carvers?
Many members are as up in age as 80+. Some have handicaps.
Just because someone is a member of a senior center, or resident of a senior home, and might have a handicap, doesn't mean they have lost their skills.

Doug Ladendorf
10-17-2013, 7:42 PM
If you are concerned about shaking or loss of control from the Parkinson's I agree with the glove idea. It may be just the ticket.

Jon Shank
10-17-2013, 8:55 PM
I'd sharpen them for him. I think he can decide if he can do it or not. My Granddad was a carver, when he got older he shook like crazy and had a hard time with fine details but he never gave himself more than the normal nicks and cuts any of us get when we handle sharp tools. And it was the one thing he did till he died that was his. I think it kept him sane when his body started to go. The safety gloves aren't a bad suggestion, never hurts to have an option to be a little safer and he might not even know such a thing is available(older folks often not all that up on the interwebs and all that). But yeah, I'd definitely sharpen them up for him.

Jon

Bruce Volden
10-17-2013, 10:15 PM
A good friend and co-worker of mine had Parkinson's. He too was a skilled woodworker for most of his life. His greatest fear he said was of choking. He said most people with this disease die this way.? He passed away in his early 50's. He continued to have a sharp mind right to the end. SHARPEN

Bruce

william watts
10-18-2013, 1:07 AM
fixed the pictures

william watts
10-18-2013, 1:23 AM
Overwhelming response to sharpen! I will sharpen and recommend or supply gloves. I was not concerned about his mental capacity and at first I thought carving would keep him engaged and provide a focus for him to enjoy. Then I became concerned about the uncontrolled movements that Parkinson produces and the use carving knives. I have given him some 3/4 pine pieces that would good for chip carving, when he brings the knives by will sharpen them and discuss gloves as Ellen others have said. Thank you all, I have lurked for a long time and learned quite a lot.

Rick Fisher
10-18-2013, 2:12 AM
Sharp chisel is much safer than dull ..

'Jacques Malan'
10-18-2013, 3:04 AM
The food industry has kevlar net gloves that prevents cutting yourself.

Don't worry about old people. I've decided my 72 year old father can climb ladders if he wants to even with his replaced knee and one eye. I helps if he asks.

Brad Cambell
10-18-2013, 9:18 AM
It sounds like you might have potentially made a friend, or at least given some elderly person something to look forward to. Other than languishing in a retirement village where the only excitement is deciding what you want for supper and what time is bingo.

I brought my Labrador retriever to a retirement home when my wife's grandmother was staying. You should have seen the people's faces light up!! It was awesome!! To see them go from just sitting in a wheel chair staring at a tv screen, to a smile and reaching out to pet my dog. The nurses said it made a big difference in the patient's lives.

My take on this is, why don't you ask if he wants to come over to your shop to help with a project? It just might give him something to look forward to? He probably won't come over but the thought woodworking might give him something to look forward to.

Jacob Reverb
10-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Now I think I shouldn't do the sharpening because woodworking and Parkinson's do not seem to be a good combination. What says the forum?

God, I love California.

Better call Sacramento...surely they have ten or fifteen thousand people on the payroll dedicated to nannying questions like this.

Keith Hankins
10-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Well since you posted I'm putt'n in my 2 cents. My wife works in healthcare as a resp therapist. So she see's a lot of folks that are getting down to the end of the road so to speak. Unfortunately a lot are smokers and she see's it time and time a gain. The children come in make mom quit knowing it ain't going to make any diff at this point. They make mom or grandma whoever the case may be, miserable to extend their life a bit. Not for the benefit of her, but for them. Rather when asked, my wife will reply make her happy, make her comfortable. So... I guess what I'm saying, if that will give that man some comfort do it. I pray someone would do the same for me. It's not the quantity of life, but the quality. I think you gave this guy a spark to live a little. DO IT! Sorry to be long winded.

Larry Fox
10-18-2013, 3:42 PM
No only do I think you should sharpen (as others have mentioned) but I would just go out and get him a pair of the gloves so he has them. Probability of his getting them if you mention them is just about 0. Heck, maybe you could take it to 11 and clear a seat in the shop next time he motors by. Parkinson's is a b***h and anything to keep people with it active is time / effort well spent.

John TenEyck
10-18-2013, 5:15 PM
OK, I'll take a slightly different tack. Where is he going to do his carving, at the home or in your shop? If it's in your shop, go to it. If it's at the home, that may be a no-go as far as management is concerned. They have to think about the other folks safety, not just his. He may be stable, etc., but there are probably a host of others who aren't. Unless the facility's management specifically approves it, I would not do it because everyone in America is too quick to sue when something bad happens.

My two cents.

John

Paul Wunder
10-18-2013, 6:38 PM
If you sharpen them, he will feel useful again and you will make him very happy.

Unfortunately, I doubt if the residence will let him use it. Most senior places are tightly regulated by the State for safety, etc., and a bad writeup after a surprise audit or another family misguidedly reporting his use to a controlling agency can create real difficulty. If the preceding doesn't occur, I am sure that the residence's attorneys would have something to say.

Not withstanding the preceding I would sharpen them because I would want to see the man's eyes when when he takes them and either uses them or dreams of what could be. Either way, you will have given him some joy.

Jacob Reverb
10-18-2013, 8:55 PM
No only do I think you should sharpen (as others have mentioned) but I would just go out and get him a pair of the gloves so he has them. Probability of his getting them if you mention them is just about 0. Heck, maybe you could take it to 11 and clear a seat in the shop next time he motors by. Parkinson's is a b***h and anything to keep people with it active is time / effort well spent.

x10 http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/thumb.gif

william watts
10-19-2013, 10:54 PM
Thank you to everybody for your considered opinions. I will sharpen the chisels and recommend or supply some gloves. I was just worried about a involuntary movement causing a serious cut. I think John is probably right about management regs at his facility.

I will make certain he knows he is welcome to stop by anytime.