PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Installing Adhesive Backing to Rowmark?

Chris DeGerolamo
10-17-2013, 2:29 PM
Got any tips I should know about? Thanks in advance.

Long and short...I forgot to specify the backing when ordering plastic. I am having 12x24 sheets of adhesive send so that I can install it in-house.

Gary Hair
10-17-2013, 2:48 PM
First tip, and I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, is to post more of what you are trying accomplish. Adhesive backing comes in many forms from rolls of narrow (1/2") tape up to wide (24") rolls.

Chris DeGerolamo
10-17-2013, 2:51 PM
First tip, and I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, is to post more of what you are trying accomplish. Adhesive backing comes in many forms from rolls of narrow (1/2") tape up to wide (24") rolls.

Sorry, you are absolutely correct. See my edited post.

Wes Mitchell
10-17-2013, 4:27 PM
Invite a friend for the taping fun. Applying adhesive by yourself can be a tricky task. If you do any vinyl work and have those plastic squeegees around, they work well.

Tony Lenkic
10-17-2013, 4:58 PM
I just finished a job of 60 sheets 12"x 24" and applied tape after lasering. Did not order material with adhesive pre-applied as I picked up an awesome deal of 100 sheets of 3M 7595MP for 50.00 bucks (these sell for over 10.00 each).
The sheets were 24" x 36" so I had to cut them down into 3 pieces.
The way I applied adhesive to Rowmark is using sticky mat to hold down Rowmark 1/4 sheet, cut off about 2" off of one side of adhesive sheet then placed it on back of Rowmark, using home made squeegee (piece of 1" x 3" wood 14" long)
pulling paper as I moved squeegee to press down adhesive. It worked just fine and quick.

Gary Hair
10-17-2013, 5:45 PM
I would take it to a sign shop that has a cold laminator and let them do it.

Joe Pelonio
10-17-2013, 7:51 PM
I always keep a roll of the 3m 6" on hand, it can be applied very quickly with no fuss as it has backing only on one side. There are a lot of tricks in vinyl application that work for this. For pieces that small, I would pull up about an inch of backing from the right end, cut off 1/2" of the backing. You should then be able to line up the sheet onto the plastic from the other end, and stick down the 1/2"x12" end. Then apply masking tape to that same right end to hold it tight to the table. Lift the other end and flip over, add masking tape to the left end to hold it to the table, remove the rest of the backing and apply right to left using a vinyl application squeegie as you go. Stop before you get to the left end masking tape and remove it.Reverse if you are left handed.