PDA

View Full Version : Reconditioned Hammer Drill sounds different than the NEW tool. Please advise.

Tom Burgess
10-17-2013, 1:02 PM
I purchased a Bosch 1191VSRK hammer drill (http://www.reconditionedtools.com/factory-reconditioned-bosch-1191vsrk-rt-1-2-in-120v-single-speed-hammer-drill/bshr1191vsrk-rt,default,pd.html&xsell=shop-by-brand--bosch--2) from a reputable online reconditioned tool dealer. It looks new, but sounds different than the brand new tool at a local home store. In hammer mode the reconditioned tool exhibits the following:

1. Reconditioned motor or gears make a louder grinding/thrashing/scraping noise than the new tool does - occurs in the main body above the trigger, and I can feel it more in the reconditioned tool than in the new tool.

2. Holding the palm of my hand against the front of the reconditioned chuck while pressing the trigger in hammer mode, the hammer action sounds and feels a bit less powerful compared to the brand new in-store tool.

QUESTION: Should I send it back, or would the brand new tool exhibit these same characteristics after a few uses? Is this one "weakened" or is it simply "broken in"...?

I don't expect to use this tool often during its one-year warranty, but expect to use it a lot AFTER the warranty has run out (an anticipated large concrete and masonry project). If this tool is not "as new" it's going back.

Thanks

Myk Rian
10-17-2013, 1:03 PM
Contact the seller.

Tom Burgess
10-17-2013, 1:26 PM
Thanks Myk, but I think the seller is likely to say...."gee, sounds okay to me..."

I'm hoping for accurate, practical, unbiased answers from fellow users, here.

Rich Engelhardt
10-17-2013, 3:50 PM
I have that same drill.
I bought it new from Menards on sale for $79.00.

If you aren't already aware, Bosch does not make that drill. They buy it from China and put their name on it.
Bosch had that on their web site but I see they eliminated that piece of info now.

Being made for Bosch by a Chinese manufacturer may or may not have any effect on the availability of parts - down the road. My guess is that it's going to make it harder to get parts for it.
In light of that, I believe I'd contact the seller and explain in detail why you believe there's something not right.

FWIW - I use mine all the time as a regular corded drill with my Kreg pocket hole jig.
I've only used it in hammer mode a few times.

Tom Burgess
10-17-2013, 4:17 PM
Thanks, Rick. No, I didn't know about the Chinese manufacture of this drill. In fact, I compared the reconditioned tool to the new $79 Menard's version (small world, no?). Plugged the new one in and tested it over by the Christmas Tree display...in mid OCTOBER(!)

I think the drill is balanced TERRIBLY--lots and lots of weight forward of the pistol grip--so I bought it primarily as a hammer drill. Can't imagine normal one-handed operation as with a typical drill/driver. You must have forearms like Popeye. LOL.

I'll call the seller as you and Myk suggest, but I don't expect much of a useful answer...